Paatra ( Gujarati Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 219 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 192170 times
Patra is sure to take your taste buds on a roller coaster ride! it is sweet, spicy and salty—all at the same time. Here, nutritious and tasty colocasia leaves are stuffed with a spicy mixture. Depending on the size of the leaves, you get normal or mini patras. Although patras taste best when deep-fried, you can also steam or shallow-fry them. When making patras, remember the two key secrets to success: roll them tightly, and never forget the tempering!
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, add water 9approx 1 cup) and mix thoroughly till the jaggery melts and the mixture becomes smooth. Keep aside.
- Wash the colocasia leaves and dry using a kitchen towel.
- Place the leaves with the vein side facing you on a clean dry surface and remove the veins using a sharp knife.
- Place a leaf with the tip facing towards you, apply little besan mixture and spread it using your fingers to make an even layer.
- Apply little besan mixture on another leaf and place it in on the first leaf with the tip in the opposite direction.
- Continue the procedure (step no. 3 and 4) for 3 more leaves.
- Fold the leaf around 1” from one side.
- Apply the besan mixture on it. Repeat the same with the other side.
- Fold the leaf around 1” from your side.
- Apply the besan paste on it with your fingers.
- Roll it up tightly, while applying besan mixture with each fold. Keep aside.
- Repeat with the remaining 5 leaves and besan mixture to make 1 more roll and steam in a steamer for 20 to 25 minutes or till it becomes firm.
- When cool, cut into 12 mm. (½”) thick slices. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the sesame seeds and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds, while stirring continuously.
- Add the patra pieces, toss gently and sauté on a medium flame for a minute.
- Serve immediately garnished with coconut and coriander.
- Always use black stemed colocasia leaves while making patra.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.