by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 699 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 53423 times
This recipe is not sensational, and that is what makes it perfect to cook at home, on any day when you feel down in the dumps! Homely to the core, this Dal Paratha is satiating, wholesome and very soothingly flavoured with simple spice powders. Yet, it fills your heart and tummy, in a very comfortable sort of way. Remember to sauté the dal mixture well along with the spice powders till the raw smell goes and you get a very inviting aroma. Allow it to cool completely before making these wholesome Parathas so that you will be able to roll the parathas easily without the mixture leaking out. Serve fresh off the Tava with Raitas / Kachumber and Pickles / Aachar .
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and knead into a soft dough using enough water.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal portions and keep aside.
- Combine the yellow moong dal and ¾ cup of water in a broad non-stick pan, mix well and cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 8 to 10 minutes or till the water is absorbed, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds, when the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida, cooked dal, turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander-cumin seeds powder and salt and sauté on a medium flame for 1to 2 minutes.
- Allow the mixture to cool completely and divide it into 8 equal portions. Keep aside.
- Roll a portion of the dough into a 100 mm. (4”) diameter circle using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Place a portion of the stuffing in the centre of the circle.
- Bring together all the sides in the centre and seal tightly.
- Roll again into a circle of 125 mm. (5”) diameter circle using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and cook the paratha using a little oil until golden brown spots appear on both the sides.
- Repeat steps 1 to 5 to make 7 more parathas.
- Serve immediately with fresh curds.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.