banana leaves recipes | 34 indian banana leaves recipes |
banana leaves recipe collection. Indian banana leaves recipes. As the name suggests, these leaves are obtained from the Banana Plants. The leaves are bright to dark green in color and are really large and wide in shape. The leaf holds major significance in a lot of religious functions and pujas. Moreover they are also used as decoration, or as plates and bowls especially in the Southern India as they are considered to be pure. These leaves are widely used in many Asian countries for cooking, like Thai, Singaporean, Sri Lankan etc.
Banana leaves as a utensil
Rice and Curry in Banana Leaves
Since banana leaves are clean, chemical free and edible, they are used in cooking. Food can be grilled, steamed and deep fried in them, all you have to do is wrap the food in them. Even the Gujaratis use banana leaves for cooking.
Panki, a traditional Gujarati Rice flour snack, is made by two methods combined. The savory rice batter is spread between the leaves and then the leaves are kept over a hot pan till the panki is cooked. Panki can have many variations like corn panki or green peas panki.
Green Peas Panki
The advantage of cooking in banana leaves is that it packs all the flavor in the food without letting any of it get out. That is why a lot of rice dishes are cooked in it to pack in the flavor. Rice and Curry in Banana Leaf is a unique recipe where a tangy creamy curry is steamed together with rice to get an irresistible combination. Moreover, because of the size of these leaves, they are used as plates to eat rasam rice or even dosa!
Indian starter recipe using banana leaves
All-time favourite Guajarati snack, which is a super hit in every household. When there is a gettogether or a family function panki is a must.
1. Corn Panki unique batter of grated sweet corn, besan and rava is used to make this delicious and satiating Corn Panki.
Corn Panki ( Saatvik Recipe)
2. Quick Rice Panki steamed in between banana leaves is a favourite Gujarati snack. Urad dal flour helps to bind the panki batter and make very thin pankis.
Quick Rice Panki
3. Chola Dal Panki snack has been tweaked by using chola dal instead of rice flour to increase the protein, iron and fibre content.
Chola Dal Panki
4. Corn and Coriander Panki wonderful snack to make when corn is in season. While the coriander and green chillies pep up the panki, the innate flavour is heightened by cooking it wrapped in banana leaves.
Corn and Coriander Panki
Indian meal recipes using banana leaves
Food cooked in banana leaves are just too amazing leaving an amazing aroma in the food. Try these recipes and surely you will love it.
1. Rice and Curry in Banana Leaf a unique dish, wherein rice and curry are packed in a warm banana leaf, which lends the dish a special fragrance.
2. Baby corn and Mushroom Curry Rice interspersed with colourful and chunky veggies, and lusciously flavoured with coconut milk and red curry paste.
Babycorn and Mushroom Curry Rice
3. Grilled Curry Rice aromatic rice preparation steamed in a banana leaf. This is a perfect meal to go with all the great starters that you make on your barbeque.
Assorted recipes using banana leaves
Recipes with different flavours and taste, when made with banana leaf. Try these lip smacking recipes and surely you will love it.
1. Ela Ada Recipe a traditional sweet delicacy from Kerala, made by steaming stuffed rice flour pancakes wrapped in a banana leaf.
Ela Ada Recipe
2. Damni Dhokla a nutritious recipe that combines dals and parboiled rice, this might take you a little time to prepare, but it is totally worth the effort.
Damni Dhokla ( Non- Fried Snacks )
3. Paneer Bhapa a unique snack, which gets an inimitable flavour by virtue of being cooked inside banana leaf pockets.
Paneer Bhapa, Bengali Paneer Bhapa Recipe
If you want to know more about the Uses of Banana Leaves, then you can check out our article on that.
Enjoy our banana leaves recipe collection. Indian banana leaves recipes collection below.