Potato Nuggets, Vegetarian Aloo Nuggets
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 19 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 118021 times
potato nuggets | deep fried potato snacks | aloo deep fried snack | vegetarian aloo nuggets | with 15 amazing images.
Very easy to make and ideal to serve at parties, the potato nuggets is sure to please you with its succulent mouth-feel and pleasant cheesy flavour.
A mixture of mashed potatoes and cheese, flavoured elegantly with red chilli flakes, is shaped into potato nuggets and deep-fried to make this all-time favourite snack.
I would like to share some important tips to make the perfect potato nuggets. 1. It is very important for the potatoes to be dry and not have excessive moisture or else the aloo nuggets won’t be crispy. Also, mash them very well or just grate them. It should not have any lump or else the nuggets will break.
2. Do not fry at low temperature, otherwise the potato nuggets will break or absorb a lot of oil.
3. Make sure you refrigerate the potato nuggets mixture for at least half an hour before shaping it. Remove it from the fridge just when you are ready to roll and deep-fry the nuggets, otherwise it will become soft and difficult not only to roll but also to fry the aloo nuggets – the nuggets might break and the cheese might ooze out, causing a pretty mess. If you keep the mixture refrigerated till the time of cooking, it will be too easy!
Loved by kids and adults, the potato nuggets is a great starter to serve at any party!
You can also try other nugget recipes like Paneer Nuggets.
Enjoy our potato nuggets | deep fried potato snacks | aloo deep fried snack | aloo nuggets with detailed step by step photos.
- To make potato nuggets, combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl and mix well.
- Cover with a lid and refrigerate for atleast 30 minutes.
- Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions.
- Roll a portion of the dough on a clean, dry surface into a 350 mm. (14”) diameter long roll using your palms.
- Cut the roll into 16 equal pieces using a sharp knife.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and deep-fry the potato nuggets till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides. Drain the potato nuggets on an absorbent paper.
- Repeat steps 4 to 6 to make more to make more potato nuggets.
- Serve the potato nuggets immediately with tomato ketchup.
Potato Nuggets video by Tarla Dalal
Potato Nuggets, Vegetarian Aloo Nuggets recipe with step by step photos
For preparing the mixture of potato nuggets, in a deep bowl take boiled and mashed potatoes. You can boil them in a pressure cooker or a microwave. Cool them completely & peel them. It is very important for the potatoes to be dry & not have excessive moisture or else the aloo nuggets won’t be crispy. Also, mash them very well or just grate them. It should not have any lump or else the nuggets will break.
Next add grated processed cheese. Also, you can make use of cheddar cheese.
Add the cornflour. They provide a crispy texture to the spicy potato nuggets.
Add breadcrumbs. Breadcrumbs helps to absorb moisture, bind all the ingredients and prevent the potato nuggets from breaking in oil.
Add red chilli flakes. Add any other flavorings like black pepper powder, garlic powder, oregano or mixed dried herbs. You can also add green chilly instead of red chilli flakes or if you don’t want to eat spicy simply skip also.
Add salt to taste and combine all the ingredients. Our potato nugget mixture is now ready!
Cover with a lid and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. At this stage you can taste the mixture and adjust the spices or else the potato nuggets will be bland.
Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions.
For frying the spicy potato nuggets, roll a portion of the dough on a clean, dry surface into a 350 mm. (14”) diameter long roll using your palms.
Cut the roll into 16 equal pieces using a sharp knife or dough scraper. You can give the potato nuggets any shape of your desire.
Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and deep-fry the nuggets till they turn golden brown in colour from one side. Do not fry at low temperature, otherwise the potato nuggets will break or absorb a lot of oil.
Carefully flip the homemade tater tots and fry till they are golden brown on all sides.
Drain the potato nuggets on absorbent paper to remove excess oil.
Repeat steps 3 to 5 to make more potato nuggets.
Serve the tater tots immediately with tomato ketchup.
Potato Smiley, Spicy Potato Wedges, French Fries Recipe are some other deep-fried starters made using potato. They are quick and easy party starter which are loved by everyone across all age groups!
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.