by Tarla Dalal
Added to 123 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 207482 times
eggless tarts recipe | eggless tart shells | Indian style eggless tart | with 13 amazing images.
Cute and small, thick and crusty, eggless tarts form a great base for desserts. Ours is an Indian style eggless tart made of flour, salt and butter, but ingredients like almonds might be added for a special touch. eggless tart shells are baked with a filling which can be sweet or savoury!
A large portion of Indians are vegetarians and hence we have this super tasty Indian style eggless tart.
Rubbing the butter lightly with your fingertips while making eggless tarts is an art that you can perfect with practice. Only ice-cold water should be added during preparation, else the butter will melt making it sticky.
Notes on eggless tarts recipe. 1. Knead the dough again, divide it into 10 equal portions. Do not over-knead. Kneading leads to the development of gluten which is exactly what we do not want in this case. 2. Place the circle into a 75 mm. (3”) diameter tart case and press the circle gently around the sides of the tart case. Ensure there are no air pockets when the pastry fits where the bottom and side of the pan meet. 3. Prick all over the eggless tarts with the help of a fork. This will prevent them from puffing up. 4. When the edges start to turn golden then the Indian style eggless tarts are done. Do not overbake.
eggless tarts taste great by themselves, but they are also used in delicious recipes like Strawberry Tarts, Fruity Chocolate Tarts and many more.
See our collection of recipes for Eggless Desserts and collection of Pies and Tart recipes.
Learn how to make eggless tarts recipe | eggless tart shells | Indian style eggless tart | with detailed step by step photos and video below.
- To make eggless tarts, sieve the flour and salt together on a plate.
- Rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips and mix well.
- Gradually add ice-cold water (approx. 3 tbsp) and knead well to make a stiff dough and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
- Lightly flour the rolling pin and pastry board and keep aside.
- Knead the dough again, divide it into 10 equal portions.
- Roll out a portion of the dough into a 100 mm. (4”) diameter circle. Place the circle into a 75 mm. (3”) diameter tart case and press the circle gently around the sides of the tart case.
- Repeat step 6 to make 9 more tarts.
- Prick all over the tarts with the help of a fork.
- Arrange the eggless tarts on a baking tray and bake in a pre-heated oven at 200ºc (400ºf) for approx. 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cool the eggless tarts cases and use as required.
- Greasing of tart moulds is not necessary, unless the moulds are new.
Eggless Tart Recipe Video
Eggless Tarts recipe with step by step photos
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.