by Tarla Dalal
3/5 stars 50% LIKED IT
1 GOOD - 1 BAD
Added to 170 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 17317 times
Here is a cheesy, creamy and chunky treat of melt-in-the-mouth homemade tarts baked with a luscious spinach-based filling.
A range of exciting ingredients ranging from tomato puree to onions and green chillies give the spinach mixture a balanced taste that combines tang, spice and crunch.
Topping the stuffed tarts with tomatoes and cheese adds more taste and textures to this fabulous treat. The chunky juiciness of tomatoes and gooeyness of cheese can be clearly experienced in these exciting Spinach Tarts, which must be enjoyed immediately after preparation.
Sure to please one and all, these savoury tarts are ideal to serve as a starter at parties .
- Sieve the flour and salt together in a plate.
- Rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips and mix well.
- Gradually add ice-cold water (approx. 3 tbsp) and knead well to make a stiff dough and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
- Lightly flour the rolling pin and pastry board and keep aside.
- Knead the dough again, divide it into 10 equal portions.
- Roll out a portion of the dough into a 100 mm. (4”) diameter circle. Place the circle into a 75 mm. (3”) diameter tart case and press the circle gently around the sides of the tart case.
- Repeat step 6 to make 9 more tarts.
- Prick all over the tarts with the help of a fork.
- Arrange the tarts on a baking tray and bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for approx. 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cool the tarts and keep aside.
- Heat the butter in a broad non-stick pan, add the onions and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the spinach, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the plain flour, tomato purée, milk and salt and pepper, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Divide the spinach filling into 10 equal portions.
- Place the tarts on a clean dry surface, put a portion of the spinach filling in each of the tarts, sprinkle little tomatoes and little cheese evenly over it.
- Bake it in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values per tart
|Vitamin A||1257.6 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.6 mg|
|Vitamin C||6.5 mg|
|Folic Acid||19.8 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.