Jam Tarts ( Cooking with Kids)
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 130 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 36192 times
All-time favourite Jam Tarts made from scratch in your own kitchen with the involvement of your little buddies – can it get any better than this?!
Jam Tart is a fun treat to make at home with kids, who will love decorating the melt-in-the-mouth tarts with different kinds of jams and decorations. They will thoroughly enjoy their time in the kitchen, and want to do it more often.
Serve it at a party, so your kids get an opportunity to show off their creative tart-decorating skills. Don’t forget the garnish of powdered sugar as it instantly boosts the visual appeal of the tarts and gives a nice mouth-feel too!
If you love tarts, we strongly recommend you try our other classic recipes like Peach and Lemon Tart or Mango Tarts
- Sieve the flour and salt together in a deep bowl.
- Rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips and mix well.
- Gradually add ice-cold water (approx. 1 tbsp) and knead well to make a stiff dough.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Knead the dough again, divide it into 5 equal portions.
- Roll out a portion of the dough, on a lightly floured work surface, into a 100 mm. (4”) diameter circle.
- Place the circle into a 75 mm. (3”) diameter tart case and press the circle gently around the sides of the tart case and trim the edges.
- Repeat step 6 and 7 to make 4 more tarts.
- Prick all over the tarts with the help of a fork.
- Arrange the tarts on a baking tray and bake in a pre-heated oven at 200ºc (400ºf) for approx. 10 minutes.
- Fill 2 tarts each with 1½ tbsp of orange marmalade and the remaining 3 tarts with 1½ tbsp each of mixed fruit jam.
- Knead the trimmed edges of the dough together, roll it out and cut into different shapes using cookie cutters or strips using a knife.
- Decorate the tarts by placing the cut out shapes and strips over the jam.
- Arrange the tarts on a baking tray and bake in a pre-heated oven at 200ºc (400ºf) for approx. 15 minutes.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.