Dhansak Dal ( Indian Diabetic Dal Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 121 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 30030 times
A traditional parsi dish. As the name says, it is an interesting combination of five varieties of dhan (dals) and saak (vegetables) perked with spices to give it a mouth-watering taste.
Being loaded with vegetables this dish is not very high in calorie and carbohydrates and also provides all the necessary nutrients.
Serve it with crusty whole wheat bread and salad to make a light, yet satisfying meal.
- Combine the dals and wash them.
- Add the vegetables to the dals along with 3 cups of water and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Liquidise the cooked dals and all the vegetables in a blender and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and add the ground paste. Sauté it for 4 to 5 minutes and add the puréed vegetable and dal mixture, along with the dry powdered masala, tamarind water and salt and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve hot, with whole wheat bread or chapatis.
- You can also use ready made Dhan-saak Masala available at most grocery stores instead of all the spices used, if you are in a hurry.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.