How many calories does one serving of Lapsi have?
One serving of Lapsi gives 247 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 150 calories, proteins account for 6 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 90 calories. One serving of Lapsi provides about 12 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
Click here to view. Lapsi Recipe. One of the most well-known of Gujarati desserts, Lapsi (fada ni lapsi | dalia sheera) is a very appealing sweet dish of roasted and cooked broken wheat sweetened with sugar and flavoured pleasantly with cardamom powder. Roasting the broken wheat in ghee gives the Gujarati broken wheat sweet a rich brown colour, intense aroma and nice flavour.
Occasion or puja at home and want to make something luscious? Here we have a perfect Indian sweet recipe that is lapsi. Lapsi translates to bulgar wheat.
Broken wheat or bulgur wheat also popularly known as fada or dalia (daliya) is very healthy as compared to rice or any other grain. It is rich in iron, fibre, magnesium and many minerals.
dalia sheera is made with minimum of ingredients like dalia, sugar, cardamom and ghee which are easily available at home. This lapsi can also be made in a Pressure Cooker.
To make lapsi, heat the ghee in a non-stick kadhai, add the broken wheat, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 5 to 7 minutes or till it turns golden brown in colour, while stirring continuously or it may burn. Add 2 cups of warm water, mix well and cook on a high flame till the water starts boiling. To make it even creamier you can add milk instead of water. Cook on a slow flame for 15 to 17 minutes or till the broken wheat is almost done, while stirring continuously. Add the sugar and cardamom powder, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 5 to 7 minutes or till the ghee separates, while stirring continuously. Serve Gujarati broken wheat sweet hot garnished with almond and pistachio slivers.
My mother adds whole spices like cloves and cinnamon to perk up fada ni lapsi. If you make this broken wheat dessert in advance, before serving add 2 tbsp of milk to the lapsi , mix well and reheat it for 2 minutes. I use make this for my kids as lapsi is super healthy and I substitute sugar with jaggery to makes it healthier.
Although lapsi is a traditional Indian sweet recipe, it has a timeless appeal and is much-loved by both adults and children. This is one of the sweets that is commonly made during festivals in Gujarati households. You can also try other such traditional sweets like the Coconut Sheera and Kaju Kopra Sheera.
Is Lapsi healthy?
No, this is not healthy. Let's see why.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Dalia ( Broken Wheat, Bulgar Wheat) : High Fibre in dalia aids in managing Diabetes. The high fiber further assists in controlling the levels of cholesterol too, thus reducing the risk of strokes. Strong Bones are the backbone of our body. We are aware that with age our bone mineral density decreases and we need a good dose of calcium, phosphorus and magnesium to maintain the health of our bones and dalia provides that. See here for detailed 8 amazing benefits of dalia.
2. Ghee : Other than calories and fats, the only nutrients that ghee is rich in are the vitamins – all of which are fat-soluble. All the 3 vitamins (Vitamin A, Vitamin E and Vitamin K) are antioxidants which have a role in removing free radicals from the body and protecting our cell as well as help in maintaining skin health and glow. Ghee is an excellent, high-quality selection medium of cooking because of its high smoke point. As compared to most oils and butter, ghee can handle a smoke point of 230°C, 450°F, thus its less prone to oxidant and destruction of nutrients. Yes, ghee does contain cholesterol, but some amount of cholesterol is needed by the body. Cholesterol has some functions to play too. It is necessary for hormone production, brain function, cell health and lubricating the joints. It is, in reality, a high quality fat for the body and brain. Ghee is loaded with fats but that’s medium chain fatty acids (MCT) which aid in weight loss. Ghee is healthy for daibetics in small amounts and you need to check your fat intake at the same time. Learn to easily make your ghee at home which is free of preservatives. See benefits of ghee.
3. Almonds (badam) : Almonds are rich in B complex vitamins such as Vitamin B1, Thiamine, Vitamin B3, Niacin and Folate which plays an important role in the brain development. Almonds balances your cholesterol levels. almonds have a very low glycemic index and good for diabetics. See all 13 super health benefits of almonds.
What's the problem?
1. Sugar : Sugar used in the recipe is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage. To live a healthy life, try and cut sugar which from your diet. It requires a slow and deliberate attempt to do it. Find hidden sugar in packaged foods and drinks and stop having those products. Did you know that a can of your favourite soft drink is estimated to have 1/2 cup of sugar. Refinded carbohydrates like maida, sugar, bread, pasta, noodles and sugar on consumption get stored as unhealthy fat in the body.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Lapsi?
No, this recipe is not good for diabetics, heart and weight loss. Sugar will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage.
Can healthy individuals have Lapsi?
No. Too much sugar used.
8 Pointers to get healthy on a Indian diet
1. Eat healthy and say yes to good home cooked food. Prefer whole grains like oatmeal, quinoa, buckwheat, barley and healthy flours like bajra flour, jowar flour, quinoa flour, wheat flour etc. rather than refined ones like maida. Have healthy Indian fats like ghee, coconut, coconut oil in your diet.
2. Opt out of junk food, packaged food, deep fried foods. Prefer steamed snacks and other non-fried snacks. Check out some Healthy Indian Snacks. Remember to eat small frequent meals through the day as that will keep you always full and prevent your blood sugar from dropping. By starving your body through some diet, will not help you one bit. In fact, dieting will make you binge on 2 to 3 meals which is not good.
3. Have 4 to 5 servings of vegetables and 2 to 3 servings of fruit is a must. Follow the logic of a vegetable in each main meal of the day and a fruit in-between meals. Check out a few Healthy Indian Soups and Healthy Indian Salads recipes using this food group.
4. Cut down on sugar and salt in your diet and pick honey ( very small amounts) or dates to sweeten your food. Slowly cut the sugar habit as this is not going to happen over night. Sugar is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage.
Salt and blood pressure. Apart from stress and obesity, one of the main reasons for high blood pressure is excessive sodium and salt intake. Most people find it difficult to limit the amount of salt in their cooking, thinking it will affect the taste of their favourite dishes.
This is not true. Bajra and jowar are rich in potassium and critical for those with High Blood Pressure as it lessens the impact of sodium. Eating more Potassium Rich Foods will remove more sodium from your body through urine. So include the basic bajra roti and jowar roti in your daily diet to have with Lower Blood Pressure Subzis Recipes.
5. Befriend a few healthy seeds and nuts like chia seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds, walnuts and almonds.
6. Sprouts are called ‘living food’. They are high is most nutrients and easy to digest as well. Let them feature in your meals at least thrice a week. Also Read : All Benefits about Sprouts.
7. Exercise 45 minutes every day. No excuse. You can walk fast, run, do weights, play your favourite sport or go to the gym.
8. Sleep early and get up early. Get your body into rhythm and it will function best. Sleep helps your body to recover.
How to burn 247 calories that come from Lapsi?
Walking (6 kmph) = 1 hr 14 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 25 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 33 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 42 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.