How many calories does one Club Sandwich have?
One Club Sandwich gives 284 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 189 calories, proteins account for 49 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 46 calories. One Club Sandwich provides about 14 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See Club Sandwich recipe. This truly unusual combination of whole wheat toast and traditional Chilas makes a satiating snack. Mint and Onion Chutney adds an extra zing to this layered vegetable club sandwich with a difference. Make it the next time you are seeking a fusion of the east and west!
Is Club Sandwich healthy?
Yes, this is healthy. But restrictions apply to some. Made from whole wheat bread and a super stuffing of a healthy chila + veggies.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Whole Wheat Bread : Well, the use of bread is relative and individualistic. Whole wheat bread is better choice than white bread made from refined plain flour. Compared to maida-based bread which is surely to be avoided, the bread made with whole wheat grain that is milled or with whole wheat flour is a healthier alternative. Whole wheat bread has more fiber than the white bread, which helps in maintaining weight, blood sugar and blood cholesterol levels. However both the varieties of bread are almost at par in their carb count. So moderation is the key here.
2. Cucumber (Kakdi) : With that high water content, cucumber act as a broom for our system to sweep out harmful toxins from our body. The sterols from cucumber aid in managing blood cholesterol levels well and is diabetic friendly. Low sodium and fair amounts of potassium will help to control blood pressure. Cucumber forms a healthy snack as it's alkaline and a great acidity snack reliever. So you can have it as a snack at work. Better to have it peeled to remove the effects of pesticides. See detailed benefits of cucumber.
3. Tomatoes : Tomatoes are extremely rich source of Lycopene. Tomatoes are a powerful antioxidant, super rich in Vitamin C, good for heart. Tomatoes are a Pregnant women's friend and are rich in Folate or Folic Acid which helps your body to produce and maintain new cells, especially red blood cells. Read about 13 amazing benefits of tomatoes.
4.Lettuce : Lettuce is low in calories and aids in Weight Loss. Being rich in Vitamin C works as an immune building vitamin by way of helping multiply white blood cells (WBC). Lettuce abounds in Vitamin A – Stops Inflammation and Improves Eyesight. Keeps heart healthy and manages diabetes. Rich in Folic acid, one such nutrient which a mother-to-be should start building the reserve of much before conception. See benefits of lettuce.
5. Whole Wheat flour : Whole wheat flour is excellent for diabetics as they will not shoot up your blood sugar levels as they are a low GI food. Whole wheat flour is rich in Phosphorus which is a major mineral which works closely with calcium to build our bones. Vitamin B9 helps your body to produce and maintain new cells, especially increase red blood cells. See detailed 11 benefits of whole wheat flour and why it's good for you.
6. Besan : Besan has more good fat than whole wheat flour and also higher protein content. Rich in complex carbohydrates and with a low glycemic index, besan is good for diabetics too. Besan is high in Folate or folic acid, which is important for rapid growth and multiplication of red blood cells and white blood cells (WBC) in the bone marrow. See 10 detailed benefits of besan and why it's good for you.
7. Jowar Flour : Jowar is a complex carb and will be absorbed slowly in the blood stream and not cause a spike in insulin. Jowar and all Millets are rich in Potassium. Potassium is critical for those with High Blood Pressure as it lessens the impact of sodium. Hence a good safe food for diabetics but to be had in restricted quantity and safe for those who want to live and eat healthy. Being high in Fibre, Jowar reduces bad cholesterol (LDL) and increases the effects of good cholesterol (HDL). See 17 benefits of jowar and why you should have it.
8.Onions (pyaz, kanda) : Raw onions are a very valuable source of vitamin C – the immune building vitamin. Along with other phytonutrients from onions, it helps to build WBC (white blood cells) which serves as a line of defence against illness. Yes, it’s a source of many antioxidants, the most important one amongst them being Quercetin. The quercetin which promotes production of HDL (good cholesterol) and lowers total cholesterol in the body. The sulphur in onions act as a blood thinner and prevents blood clotting too. This in turn would lower blood pressure and good for heart, diabetics. Read the benefits of onions.
9.Coriander (kothmir, dhania) : The antioxidants vitamin A, vitamin C and the quercetin present in coriander works towards strengthening our immune system. Coriander is a fairly good source of iron and folate – the 2 nutrient which help in the production and maintenance of red blood cells in our blood. Good for reducing cholesterol and good for diabetics. Read 9 benefits of coriander to understand details.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Club Sandwich?
Yes, this recipe is good for diabetics, heart and weight loss BUT watch the carbs for diabetics and eat in restricted quantity. Whole wheat bread is better choice than white bread made from refined plain flour. Whole wheat bread has more fiber than the white bread, which helps in maintaining weight, blood sugar and blood cholesterol levels. However both the varieties of bread are almost at par in their carb count. This club sandwich has a healthy chila inside it made from jowar and whole wheat flour. Tomatoes are a powerful antioxidant, super rich in Vitamin C, good for heart.
Can healthy individuals have Club Sandwich?
Club Sandwich is high in
1. Protein : Protein is required for the managing the wear and tear of all cells of the body.
2. Folic Acid : Folic acid is an essential vitamin required throughout pregnancy.
3. Vitamin C : Vitamin C is a great defence against coughs and colds.
4. Calcium : Calcium is a mineral that makes bones stay strong. Required from kids to adults.
5. Magnesium : Magnesium is required for formation of bones and teeth. helps in the metabolism of calcium and potassium.
6. Phosphorous : Phosphorous works closely with calcium to build bones.
7. Vitamin B1 : Vitamin B1 protects nerves, helps in carbohydrate metabolism, prevents heart diseases and helps produce red blood cells.
8. Vitamin A : Vitamin A is crucial for healthy vision, cell growth and healthy skin.
9. Fiber : Dietary fiber reduce the risk of heart disease, prevent the spike in blood sugar levels and hence super for diabetics. Consume more fruits, vegetables, moong, oats, matki, whole grains.
10. Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) : Vitamin B2 enables the production of red blood cells that contribute to the rise in your energy levels. So have more milk, curds, eggs and green leafy vegetables.
11. Iron : Iron is essential in the chemical reactions that produce energy from foods. Eat more greens and garden cress seeds to prevent you from being anaemic. Here are the top 7 sources of iron rich foods.
12. Vitamin B3 (niacin) : Vitamin B3 helps in brain functioning and mental health. Also healthy skin formation.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 284 calories that come from Club Sandwich?
Walking (6 kmph) = 1hr 25 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 28 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 38 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 49 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.