How many calories does one Sindhi Koki have?
One Sindhi Koki gives 235 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 131 calories, proteins account for 22 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 88 calories. One Sindhi Koki provides about 12 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See Sindhi koki recipe. Sindhi koki recipe | healthy Sindhi roti | traditional Sindhi koki | koki for breakfast | with 22 amazing images.
Sindhi koki recipe is a fabulous roti prepared with dough of whole-wheat flour perked up with a large array of flavour enhancers like onions and coriander to cumin seeds and pomegranate seeds.
To make traditional Sindhi koki , combine the whole wheat flour, onions, coriander, green chillies, jeera, anardana , ghee and salt in a deep bowl and knead into a stiff dough using enough water. Divide the dough into 6 equal portions and roll out each portion into a 175 mm. (7") diameter circle using a little whole wheat flour for rolling and prick it using a fork. Heat a non-stick tava (griddle), grease it with ghee and cook each circle, on a slow flame, using ghee, till it turns golden brown in colour and crisp from both the sides. Serve the Sindhi koki hot.
While onions and other ingredients add flavour and crunch to the Sindhi koki , the seeds do a great job in raising the flavour to a much higher plane!
Let's see why we say this is a healthy Sindhi koki. The main ingredient of the roti is whole wheat flour. Whole wheat flour is excellent for diabetics as they will not shoot up your blood sugar levels as they are a low GI food. Raw onions used are a very valuable source of vitamin C – the immune building vitamin. Along with other phytonutrients from onions, it helps to build WBC (white blood cells) which serves as a line of defence against illness. If your diabetic, weight loss or have a heart issue, cut the quantity of the ghee used in the recipe as it has a high healthy fat level.
If you need to travel on a long journey, we have modified the traditional Sindhi koki recipe to enable the roti to last longer from a weeek to 15 days. See our recipe of Sindi koki for travelling.
Traditionally, Sindhi Koki is had for breakfast with curds
Is Sindhi Koki healthy?
Yes, this is healthy. But restrictions apply to some.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Whole Wheat flour : Whole wheat flour is excellent for diabetics as they will not shoot up your blood sugar levels as they are a low GI food. Whole wheat flour is rich in Phosphorus which is a major mineral which works closely with calcium to build our bones. Vitamin B9 helps your body to produce and maintain new cells, especially increase red blood cells. See detailed benefits of whole wheat flour and why it's good for you.
2. Onions (pyaz, kanda) : Raw onions are a very valuable source of vitamin C – the immune building vitamin. Along with other phytonutrients from onions, it helps to build WBC (white blood cells) which serves as a line of defence against illness. Yes, it’s a source of many antioxidants, the most important one amongst them being Quercetin. The quercetin which promotes production of HDL (good cholesterol) and lowers total cholesterol in the body. The sulphur in onions act as a blood thinner and prevents blood clotting too. This in turn would lower blood pressure and good for heart, diabetics. Read the benefits of onions.
3. Ghee : Other than calories and fats, the only nutrients that ghee is rich in are the vitamins – all of which are fat-soluble. All the 3 vitamins (Vitamin A, Vitamin E and Vitamin K) are antioxidants which have a role in removing free radicals from the body and protecting our cell as well as help in maintaining skin health and glow. Ghee is an excellent, high-quality selection medium of cooking because of its high smoke point. As compared to most oils and butter, ghee can handle a smoke point of 230°C, 450°F, thus its less prone to oxidant and destruction of nutrients. Yes, ghee does contain cholesterol, but some amount of cholesterol is needed by the body. Cholesterol has some functions to play too. It is necessary for hormone production, brain function, cell health and lubricating the joints. It is, in reality, a high quality fat for the body and brain. Ghee is loaded with fats but that’s medium chain fatty acids (MCT) which aid in weight loss. Ghee is healthy for daibetics in small amounts and you need to check your fat intake at the same time. Learn to easily make your ghee at home which is free of preservatives. See benefits of ghee.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Sindhi koki ?
Yes, this recipe is good for diabetics, heart and weight loss BUT cut the ghee levels by half. We don't want you to eat too much fat when you have health issues. Whole wheat flour is excellent for diabetics as they will not shoot up your blood sugar levels as they are a low GI food. Ghee is loaded with fats but that’s medium chain fatty acids (MCT) which aid in weight loss. Ghee is healthy for daibetics in small amounts and you need to check your fat intake at the same time.
Also reduce the carbohydrate load by having your koki with some protein from low fat curds. So be intelligent on how you pair your meals.
Low Fat Curds ( How To Make Low Fat Curds)
Can healthy individuals have Sindhi koki ?
Sindhi koki is good for
1. Healthy Recipes Lifestyle
2. Healthy heart rotis cut fat levels
3. Diabetics with heart issues cut fat levels
4. Diabetic rotis cut fat levels
5. High fibre to lower cholesterol cut fat levels
6. Low cholesterol rotis cut fat levels
7. High fibre for kids
How to burn 235 calories that come from Sindhi Koki?
Walking (6 kmph) = 1 hr 11 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 24 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 31 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 40 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.