How many calories does one Cheese and Spring Onion Sandwich have?
One Cheese and Spring Onion Sandwich gives 295 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 128 calories, proteins account for 24 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 143 calories. One Cheese and Spring Onion Sandwich provides about 15 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See recipe Cheese and Spring Onion Sandwich | spring onion cheese sandwich | creamy cheese and spring onion sandwich | with amazing 16 photos.
We have got you a luscious recipe that is cheese and spring onion sandwich, every bite of it offers a burst of flavours, and nothing short of ecstasy! Cheese spread and mayonnaise make an exciting stuffing for sandwiches together with crunchy capsicums and spring onions, held together with milk, and flavoured with garlic and red chilli flakes. For making the stuffing for spring onion and cheese sandwich we have mixed cheese spread, chopped spring onions, mayonnaise, bell peppers, little milk which is completely optional, also some red chilli flakes and garlic to enhance the taste. Thereafter, we have toasted the breads in a pop-up toaster, apply butter on the breads and spread the prepared stuffing evenly on a bread and sandwich it with another bread and our cheese and spring onion sandwich is ready! Cut it into half and it is ready to be gulped down!
Who doesn’t love sandwiches? Sandwiches are great any time of the day!! You can have sandwich for breakfast, quick lunch, evening snack and even for dinner. Sandwiches always come as saviors when you need to hurry up somewhere and have no time for complex cooking. You can carry sandwiches when you are travelling to work or even out for a road trip. There are many ways to make and enjoy veg sandwich recipes, like cheese sandwiches, toasted sandwiches and grilled sandwiches.
This cheese and spring onion sandwich is ready, with its rich mouth-feel and irresistible aroma, is both a sumptuous and tasteful treat! Treat your kids with this amazing sandwich.
Is Cheese and Spring Onion Sandwich healthy?
No, this is not healthy. Let's see why.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Cheese spread : is a naturally rich source of many nutrients including calcium, phosphorous, protein, fat soluble vitamins and B vitamins.
2. Spring Onions : The sulfur compounds in spring onions are known to keep blood pressure under check. Here the sulfur compounds and antioxidant quercetin together help to keep blood sugar levels under control by increasing the production of insulin making it good for Diabetics. Spring onions have also been identified to lower cholesterol levels in the body. The vitamin C also puts you at less risk of heart disease. Being very low in calories and fat and encompassing a basketful of nutrients, they are looked upon as a weight loss vegetable too. See detailed benefits of spring onions.
3. Mayonnaise : Mayonnaise is made up of of vegetable oil and hence very high fat levels + eggs which are healthy. Vegetable oils are not very healthy for your body which will cause inflammation and stop the fat burning process. You are better of using olive oil or peanut oil as they are higher in MUFA.
4. Capsicum (Bell Peppers) : Rich in vitamin C, capsicum protect and maintain the lining of the heart. Low glycemic index (40) colourful capsicum are immune boosters. Colourful capsicums are not only visually appealing but also good for your eyes too, as they contain antioxidant Lutein, which protects the eye from cataracts and degeneration of the eye. Capsicum is high in Folate or folic acid, which is important for rapid growth and multiplication of red blood cells and white blood cells in the bone marrow. See detailed benefits of capsicum.
5. Milk and Low Fat Milk : 1 cup of milk provides 70% of the Recommended Daily Allowance of Calcium. Milk promotes strong bones. The Calcium in Milk helps to protect your teeth against gum disease and keeps your jaw bone strong and healthy. Milk is low in carbs and therefore does not raise blood glucose levels. However diabetics must consider including low fat milk as advised by their dietitian only so as to avoid any fluctuations in blood sugar levels. Protein is another key nutrient which milk is rich in - 8.6 g from a cup. So all those looking to build protein stores can add milk and its products like curd and paneer to their diet. One cup of Milk gives 10 grams of carbs. Low fat milk has lower fat and the same benefits of milk.
6. Red chillies: The substance capsaicin which the red chillie their characteristic spiciness may help reduce inflammation in the body. The cayenne in red chillies has shown to have heart protecting benefits in a few studies. On the other hand, the vitamin C in it, can also boost immunity to some extent. They also contain some amounts of beta carotene, very few carbs and a small amount of protein and fibre.
7. Garlic : Garlic has been proven to lower cholesterol. The active ingredient allicin present in garlic aids in lowering blood pressure. Garlic is also alleged to help regulate blood glucose levels for diabetics. Garlic is great for the heart and circulatory system. Garlic has an antimicrobial, antiviral and antifungal function and can help in relieving common cold and other viral infections. To boost your immune system have a garlic clove a day. Garlic is a top anti viral food. The thiosulphate compound, Allicin found in garlic acts as a strong antioxidant and protects our body from damage of free radicals. Read here for complete benefits of garlic.
What's the problem?
1. Plain flour (maida) : This recipe uses plain flour or maida which is refined carb not suitable for healthy lifestyle. Maida consumption in any food should be totally avoided or use in very small quantities as any consumption of this will cause a larger spike in blood sugar levels which is not good for diabetics, heart patients. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage. Read is maida good for you to understand fully.
Note : 1 cup = 200 ml (standard cup available in the market). The weight in grams varies for each ingredient.
Can diabetics, heart patients and overweight individuals have Cheese and Spring Onion Sandwich?
No, this recipe is not good for diabetics, heart and weight loss. This recipe uses bread which is made from plain flour or maida which is refined carb not suitable for healthy lifestyle. Maida consumption in any food should be totally avoided or just a little bit of usage as any consumption of this will cause a larger spike in blood levels which is not good for diabetics, heart patients.
Cheese has high fat levels which will not work for diabetics and weight loss.
Can healthy individuals have Cheese and Spring Onion Sandwich?
Not healthy. Stay away from white bread to lead a healthy life style.
What is a healthy toast option to have?
We suggest you try homemade almond bread made without eggs and toast it. A good option is toasted almond bread with avocado which is a perfect gluten free breakfast option. Whole wheat bread is better choice than white bread made from refined plain flour to make toast like mixed sprouts open toast, oats moong toast, cottage cheese tomato and chutney sandwich or creamy alfalfa sprouts and apple on toast.
Cottage Cheese, Tomato and Chutney Sandwich
8 Pointers to get healthy on a Indian diet
1. Eat healthy and say yes to good home cooked food. Prefer whole grains like oatmeal, quinoa, buckwheat, barley and healthy flours like bajra flour, jowar flour, quinoa flour, wheat flour etc. rather than refined ones like maida. Have healthy Indian fats like ghee, coconut, coconut oil in your diet.
2. Opt out of junk food, packaged food, deep fried foods. Prefer steamed snacks and other non-fried snacks. Check out some Healthy Indian Snacks. Remember to eat small frequent meals through the day as that will keep you always full and prevent your blood sugar from dropping. By starving your body through some diet, will not help you one bit. In fact, dieting will make you binge on 2 to 3 meals which is not good.
Skip having Indian junk foods like pav bhaji, bata vada, pakoras, gulab jamun as they cause your body to have insulance resistance. The resultant is your body will store more carbohydrates as fats, causing storage of fat in the stomach causing a paunch and slowing down of our fat burning process. So its a bad cyle which causes you more more hunger and fatigue every time you eat junk food.
3. Have 4 to 5 servings of vegetables and 2 to 3 servings of fruit is a must. Follow the logic of a vegetable in each main meal of the day and a fruit in-between meals. Check out a few Healthy Indian Soups and Healthy Indian Salads recipes using this food group.
4. Cut down on sugar and salt in your diet and pick honey ( very small amounts) or dates to sweeten your food. Slowly cut the sugar habit as this is not going to happen over night. Sugar is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage.
Salt and blood pressure. Apart from stress and obesity, one of the main reasons for high blood pressure is excessive sodium and salt intake. Most people find it difficult to limit the amount of salt in their cooking, thinking it will affect the taste of their favourite dishes.
This is not true. Bajra and jowar are rich in potassium and critical for those with High Blood Pressure as it lessens the impact of sodium. Eating more Potassium Rich Foods will remove more sodium from your body through urine. So include the basic bajra roti and jowar roti in your daily diet to have with Lower Blood Pressure Subzis Recipes.
5. Befriend a few healthy seeds and nuts like chia seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds, walnuts and almonds. Stress. The easiest way to kill your immune system is chronic stress.
6. Sprouts are called ‘living food’. They are high is most nutrients and easy to digest as well. Let them feature in your meals at least thrice a week. Also Read : All Benefits about Sprouts.
7. Exercise 45 minutes every day. No excuse. You can walk fast, run, do weights, play your favourite sport or go to the gym. No activity reduces muscle tissue which will lead to muscke loss and all kinds of problems with that. Workout builds immunity and keeps virus or bugs away.
8. Sleep early and get up early. Get your body into rhythm and it will function best. Sleep helps your body to recover and makes you look much younger. Also getting good sleep prevent muscle loss, builds immunity and keeps virus or bugs away.
One Cheese and Spring Onion Sandwich is high in
1. Protein : Protein is required for the managing the wear and tear of all cells of the body.
2. Vitamin B1 : Vitamin B1 protects nerves, helps in carbohydrate metabolism, prevents heart diseases and helps produce red blood cells.
3. Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) : Vitamin B2 enables the production of red blood cells that contribute to the rise in your energy levels. So have more milk, curds, eggs and green leafy vegetables.
4. Vitamin C : Vitamin C is a great defence against coughs and colds.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 295 calories that come from one Cheese and Spring Onion Sandwich?
Walking (6 kmph) = 1 hour 29 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 30 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 39 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 51 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.