How many calories does one tbsp Green Garlic Sauce have?
One tbsp Green Garlic Sauce gives 17 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 16 calories, proteins account for 0.4 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 0.9 calories. One tbsp Green Garlic Sauce provides about 1 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See Green Garlic Sauce recipe. Green garlic or young garlic has a milder, fresher and sweeter taste than mature garlic pods, and this makes it a wonderful ingredient for sauces and dips.Combining it with some green chillies for spice, coriander for a fresh flavour and lemon juice for tang results in a really tongue-tickling Green Garlic Sauce.Make sure you add a little sugar to this sauce as it is essential to balance the flavour. You can, however, adjust the sweetness according to your taste.This peppy sauce is a delightful accompaniment for Oriental snacks.
Is Green Garlic Sauce healthy?
No, this is not healthy. Let's see why.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Coriander (kothmir, dhania) : The antioxidants vitamin A, vitamin C and the quercetin present in coriander works towards strengthening our immune system. Coriander is a fairly good source of iron and folate – the 2 nutrient which help in the production and maintenance of red blood cells in our blood. Good for reducing cholesterol and good for diabetics. Read 9 benefits of coriander to understand details.
2. Green Chillies : Antioxidant vitamin C in green chillies protects the body from effects of harmful free radicals and prevents stress. It is probably the high fiber which helps in controlling blood sugar levels. This it is a welcome addition to a diabetic diet. Suffering from anaemia? Add green chillies to your list of iron rich foods too. For complete details see benefits of green chilli.
3. Green Garlic (hara lahsun) : The most peculiar benefit of green garlic is due to its active ingredient, allicin. This works as a powerful antioxidant to boost your immune system and prevent against common infections like cough and cold as well as chronic diseases like cancer. It protects the heart by maintaining the levels of cholesterol in the body. It also soothes the digestive tract by treating intestinal microbes. Just chop green garlic and use it creatively to make rotis, pancakes, chutney etc.
4. Garlic : Garlic has been proven to lower cholesterol. The active ingredient allicin present in garlic aids in lowering blood pressure. Garlic is also alleged to help regulate blood glucose levels for diabetics. Garlic is great for the heart and circulatory system. Garlic has an antimicrobial, antiviral and antifungal function and can help in relieving common cold and other infections. The thiosulphate compound, Allicin found in garlic acts as a strong antioxidant and protects our body from damage of free radicals. Read here for complete benefits of garlic.
5. Lemon, Lemon Juice : Lemon is a very good source of Vitamin C and thus helps in the production of white blood cells and antibodies in the blood which attacks invading microorganisms, prevents infection and builds immunity. Therefore, Lemon juice is given to prevent common cold. The ascorbic acid in lemon juice helps in absorption of iron from the food. So if you’re iron deficient or have anaemia squeeze a lemon on iron rich recipes. See detailed benefits of lemon, lemon juice.
What's the problem?
1. Sugar : Sugar used in the recipe is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage. To live a healthy life, try and cut sugar which from your diet. It requires a slow and deliberate attempt to do it. Find hidden sugar in packaged foods and drinks and stop having those products. Did you know that a can of your favourite soft drink is estimated to have 1/2 cup of sugar. Refinded carbohydrates like maida, sugar, bread, pasta, noodles and sugar on consumption get stored as unhealthy fat in the body.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Green Garlic Sauce?
No, this recipe is not good for diabetics, heart and weight loss. Sugar used in the recipe is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage.
Healthy Chutney to have
Have this with nutritious green chutney recipe which has ZERO sugar used in it made with mint leaves, onions and coriander, lehsun ka chutney, green garlic chutney or green chutney recipe. Coconut based options are healthy coconut chutney made from coconut and coriander and coconut coriander green chutney for idlis dosa uttapam vada.
Green Garlic Chutney
Can healthy individuals have Green Garlic Sauce?
How to burn 17 calories that come from Green Garlic Sauce?
Walking (6 kmph) = 5 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 2 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 2 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 3 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.