Veg Stufffed Idlis
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 286 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 58723 times
A delicious snack that combines the sumptuousness of idlis with the great taste and goodness of mixed veggies. The idli batter for this recipe is relatively easy to make, as you just need to soak and blend all the ingredients together and ferment.
This batter is steamed with a stuffing of mixed veggies sautéed with a simple, traditional tempering, which gives it a superb aroma and taste.
The softness of the idlis together with the juiciness and myriad flavours of the veggies make the Veg Stuffed Idlis a really rare and delightful treat.
You can also try other innovative idli recipes like the Stuffed Potato Idli and the Sweet Idli .
- Wash and soak the idli rawa, poha and urad dal in enough water in a deep bowl for 2 hours and drain well.
- Blend in a mixer using ½ cup of water till smooth.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, add the salt and mix well. Cover with a lid and keep aside to ferment in a warm place for 6 to 8 hours.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the urad dal, mustard seeds and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the green chillies, vegetables and salt and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes. Keep aside.
- Put 1 tbsp of the idli batter into each greased idli moulds. Put approx. 1 tsp of the prepared vegetable stuffing over the idli batter and finally top it with ½ tbsp of the idli batter evenly over it.
- Steam in a steamer for 12 minutes.
- Allow the idlis to cool slightly and then demould them using a spoon.
- Repeat steps 1 to 3 to make 1 more batch.
- Serve hot with sambhar and coconut chutney.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.