Idli ( Mumbai Roadside Recipes)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 54 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 56533 times
An ideal breakfast option for the busy-bee! served piping hot, usually in portions of three idlis per plate, who can say no to these healthy, steamed idlis that are accompanied by delectable sambhar and two chutneys too?
- Soak the urad dal and fenugreek seeds in enough water for 3 hours, drain and blend in a mixer till smooth and frothy. Keep aside.
- Soak the rice in enough water for 3 hours, drain and blend in a mixer to a coarse paste. Keep aside.
- Combine the urad dal paste, rice paste and salt in a bowl and mix well.
- Keep aside to ferment overnight.
- Mix the fermented batter once again and place spoonfuls of the idli batter into greased idli moulds and steam in a steamer for 8 to10 minutes.
- Remove, cool for a few seconds and demould.
- Place 3 idlis each on 4 plates and serve immediately with coconut chutney, green garlic chutney and sambhar.
- Once the rice and urad dal batter are ground separately, ensure that you mix them well before fermenting. Urad dal tends to sink to the bottom and thus mixing is very important before and after fermenting.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per plate
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.