Sweet Idli, How To Make Sweet Idli
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 15 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 32666 times
Here’s an innovative twist to one of South India’s most traditional recipes! In this unique Sweet Idli recipe, the idli batter is layered with a pooran of moong dal, coconut and jaggery flavoured mildly with cardamom powder.
Once steamed, this gives rise to soft, fluffy idlis with a pleasantly-sweet stuffing. You can serve this as a tea-time snack, or as a sweet jodi for savoury idlis at breakfast time.
- Heat a small non-stick pan, add the yellow moong dal and dry roast on a medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Allow the mixture to cool completely. Once cooled, add the jaggery, cardamom powder, coconut and mix very well with your hands. Keep aside.
- Grease the idli moulds using a little oil, put 1 tbsp of the idli batter on it, put 1 tsp of the moong dal jaggery stuffing in the centre and finally cover the stuffing with ½ tbsp of the idli batter.
- Steam in a steamer for 10 to 12 minutes or till the idlis are cooked.
- Allow the idlis to cool slightly and demould them.
- Serve immediately topped with ghee.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per idli
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.