Vangi Bath, Maharashtrian Style Baingan Rice
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 19 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 36113 times
vangi bath recipe | Maharashtrian style baingan rice | brinjal rice | with 30 amazing images.
vangi bath is a Maharashtrian style baingan rice which is also called brinjal rice.
vangi bath or vangi bhaat is one such traditional Maharashtrian dish with an appetising aroma and rich taste. Maharashtrian style baingan rice is made of brinjals and rice, flavoured with a gamut of spices and a rich paste of coconut, onions, spices and seeds.
Many people enjoy exotic international foods only when they are in the mood for it. However, traditional and homely foods are always enjoyable for all of us, as they bring back happy and comfortable memories of home!
Tips for making vangi bath recipe. 1. You can chop the brinjals finely if you like it that way. Soak brinjals in water to avoid discoloration and to remove the bitterness. You can use any variety of brinjal you like.
Maharashtrian style baingan rice makes a perfect one-dish meal when served with a cup of curd or a tomato onion raita.
You can even pack vangi bath in the lunch box or carry it along while travelling. Enjoy other Maharashtrian dishes like Maharashtrian Pitla or Maharashtrian Papdi and Moong Dal Vadi Subzi.
Learn to make vangi bath recipe | Maharashtrian style baingan rice | brinjal rice | with step by step photos and video below.
- Heat the oil in a small non-stick pan, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes. Remove and keep aside.
- In the same small non-stick pan, add the coconut and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes. Remove and keep aside.
- In the same small non-stick pan, add the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, sesame seeds, star anise and cinnamon and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Combine all the sautéed ingredients along with the curry leaves and ¼ cup of water in a mixer and blend till smooth. Keep aside.
- To make vangi bath, heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the cloves, bayleaf, cardamom and peppercorn and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the brinjal and sauté on a medium flame for 4 minutes.
- Add the prepared paste and 2 tbsp water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring continuously.
- Add the chilli powder, turmeric powder, garlic paste, ginger paste, 5 tbsp of water and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the rice and coriander, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve the vangi bath hot.
Vangi Bath, Maharashtrian Rice with Baingan Video by Tarla Dalal
Vangi Bath, Maharashtrian Style Baingan Rice recipe with step by step photos
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||186.7 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1.7 mg|
|Vitamin C||8.5 mg|
|Folic Acid||19 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.