Tendli Bhaat, Maharashtrian Tendli Bhaat, Ivy Gourd Rice
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 277 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 98740 times
A real spicy preparation of rice and tendi, which totally masks the sober nature of tendli transforming it into an exciting ingredient that will be loved by all.
This Tendli Bhaat actually has a double dose of spices! Not only is the rice cooked with sautéed spices, but it is also seasoned with an aromatic spice powder. The spice powder is quite special, because the regular spices like cinnamon and cloves are further enhanced by unique additions like sesame, caraway and coconut.
Adding half the spice powder when cooking the rice and tendli, and adding the remaining at the end, improves the aroma and flavour of the dish wonderfully. You could try the same recipe with other veggies, but tendli offers a special, crisp texture that is difficult to match!
Enjoy this Maharashtrian delicacy with curds and your favourite Aachar by the side.
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick pan add the mustard seeds, when the seeds crackle, add the cumin seeds, cardamoms, cinnamon, cloves, fenugreek seeds, green chillies, curry leaves and asafetida and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the tendli and rice and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder, half the spice powder and salt, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for another 2 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of hot water, mix well and cover with a lid and cook on medium flame for 7 to 8 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the coconut and the remaining half of the spice powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot garnished with coconut and coriander.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.