by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 19 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 20294 times
Dodkyacha Bhaat is neither a khichdi nor a pulao, but it has a very homely and satiating flavour!
A Maharashtrian preparation of rice and ridge gourd perked up with common spices and pastes, Dodkyacha Bhaat is very easy to prepare and very tasty too.
Sautéing the rice gives a good aroma and also prevents it from clumping up. It is important to add the ingredients at the right time, in the right order, so that the flavours are absorbed well into the rice and vegetables.
When you feel a little indulgent, add a dollop of ghee to the hot rice just before having it.
Also do try other Maharashtrian rice recipes like Vangi Bhath and Tendli Bhaat .
- Heat 1 tsp of oil in a deep non-stick kadhai, add the rice and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the flame, transfer the rice into a deep bowl, add enough water and cover and keep aside for 2 hours. Drain and keep aside.
- Combine the curds and ¼ cup of water in a bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Heat the remaining 4 tsp oil in a deep non-stick kadhai and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the cumin seeds, asafoetida, green chillies and ginger and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the ridge gourd and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the rice, mix well and cover and cook on a slow flame for 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the coriander-cumin seeds powder, sugar, curd-water mixture and salt, mix well and cover and cook on a medium flame for 6 to 8 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately garnished with coriander and coconut.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||141.3 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1.3 mg|
|Vitamin C||6.2 mg|
|Folic Acid||5.2 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.