Suva Masoor Dal, Zero Oil Healthy Dal
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 46 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 18684 times
For many, dal is the ideal comfort food. It satiates and soothes, while also giving you ample nutrition. The Suva Masoor Dal is a veritable treat for such dal lovers.
The unique combination of dill with masoor dal gives this recipe a distinct flavour, which is boosted by the addition of garlic, green chillies, onions and a tempering of cumin seeds. The earthy taste of masoor dal together with sweet-tasting suva makes this a real delicacy.
The best part is that this recipe does not use any oil, so you can enjoy it without worrying about excess calories.
At the same time, you get a good dose of protein , vitamin A , iron , folic acid and zinc.
You can also try other dals like Moong Dal Sultani or Palak Chana Dal .
- Clean, wash and soak the masoor dal for about 15 minutes. Drain well and keep aside.
- Combine the masoor dal, turmeric powder and 1 cup of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Remove, whisk the dal well and keep aside.
- Heat a deep non-stick pan on a medium flame and when hot, add the cumin seeds and dry roast for 30 seconds.
- Add the curry leaves, garlic, green chillies, onions and dry roast on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the cooked dal, dill leaves, salt and 1½ cups of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.