4/5 stars 86% LIKED IT
6 GOOD - 1 BAD
Added to 625 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 93604 times
A light creamy delicacy from West Bengal made with curdled milk. It is an art to make this recipe which requires practice and patience.
Make use of fresh chenna to get the perfect texture. Do not try making this using market brought paneer because, it lacks the moistness and doesn't bind the sugar with it.
Being a milk-based mithai, it won't last long, consume it at as soon as possible.
You can make different flavored sandesh by adding rose, chocolate, mango pulp or coffee.
Also try these recipes Mixed Fruit Sandesh or Chocolate Sandesh
- Heat the milk in a deep non-stick pan and bring to a boil. Switch off the flame and wait for 1 minute. Add the lemon juice gradually and keep stirring gently.
- Allow it to stand for ½ minute to curdle. It is completely curdled, when the chenna and the whey (greenish water) separate out.
- Strain using a muslin cloth. Discard or store the whey.
- Place the muslin cloth with the chenna in a bowl of fresh water and wash it 2 to 3 times.
- Tie and hang for 30 minutes for the extra water to drain out. Allow the chenna to cool completely.
- Transfer it in a plate, combine the chenna and sugar and knead into a very smooth mixture.
- Heat a broad non-stick pan, add the chenna and sugar mixture and cook on a slow flame while mashing it with the back of the spoon continuously for 4 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Transfer to a plate and knead it to a very soft dough.
- The sandesh should be used immediately for making various shapes.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per piece
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.