by Tarla Dalal
Added to 1724 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 68061 times
Kalakand is an all-time favourite that has stood the test of time and tide! From its origins in northern India, its popularity has become pan Indian – why global too, as it is not uncommon to find this luscious, milky mithai in Indian stores across the world.
Here is a Quick Kalakand, which will help you work out the same magic in your own kitchen albeit consuming much less of your time and effort. The key to this quick but tasty version is the right ingredients in the right proportions, cooked for just the right time. You must however allow for a few hours’ setting time.
Also, ensure that you use a plate that is slightly deep, like a dhokla thali, to set this sweet as kalakand is usually served in chunky pieces and not flat ones like barfi.
- Combine all the ingredients, except the cardamom powder, in a deep non-stick pan and mix well. Cook on a medium flame for 15 minutes or till the mixture thickens and leaves the sides of the pan, while stirring continuously and scraping the sides of the pan.
- Remove from the flame, add the cardamom powder and mix well.
- Transfer the mixture immediately into a 175 mm. (7") greased thali and spread it evenly.
- Garnish it with almond and pistachio slivers and pat it lightly so that the almond and pistachio slivers stick to the mixture very well. Keep aside to cool and set for 3 hours.
- Cut into pieces and serve or keep refrigerated till serving.
- This kalakand stays fresh for a week when refrigerated.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.