Last Updated : Sep 11,2019
Viewed 38661 times
Also Known As
Dry Whole Milk, Powdered Milk, Spray dried Milk.
Whole milk undergoes a process where the liquids are made to evaporate. The resulting white powder, fortified with vitamin A and D is packaged and sold as milk powder. The purpose of removing the moisture content from milk is to increase its shelf life, preserve its nutrients and transport it in an easier format. Powdered milk is a staple in many countries because it can be stored and reconstituted back into its liquid state by the addition of water.
How to Select
• There are various companies offering milk powders; such as Varshney Bhanu Companies Pvt. Ltd, Amul Instant Full Cream milk powder... etc.
• The prominent ones available in grocery stores or food malls is the Everyday milk creamer.
• Also Reliance Fresh offers loosely sold milk powder.
• The packaging is varied as it is available in small sachets, or standard sized packets or in tins.
• While buying from the store, ensure that there are no lump formations of the powder, which could happen due to moisture, especially during the monsoons.
• There are some which have more fat percentage as compared to others so choose accordingly.
• Please read the manufacturing and expiry dates carefully before purchasing.
• Tasty white and cheese sauces can also be prepared using milk powder instead of whole milk.
• Milk powder can also be used to make Indian sweets like halwa and barfi, amongst others.
How to Store
• Dry milk is easier to store due to its small size as compared to whole milk, but its only disadvantage is that it does not taste the same in reconstituted liquid form.
• Due to the presence of milk fat, always store it in a refrigerator once you open the pack. Otherwise, a sealed pack can be stored in a cool but dry place.
• You can remove it in a glass or vacuumed plastic bottle. Use a dry spoon or scoop to remove it from the container and shut it tightly after every use to avoid the lumping of milk powder, due to moisture. Once reconstituted, refrigerate it like other milk beverages.
• Milk is a wholesome and complete food, that is widely considered part of a balanced diet.
• Milk powder contains almost the same amount of proteins (26%) and carbohydrates (37%) when in the liquid form, though the water content is decreased to just 3%. However the fat percentage varies from 25- 28 % depending on the commercially available brand.
• The milk protein casein is said to stimulate the whole body and helps in muscle- protein synthesis.
• Milk powder is also fortified with vitamins A and D. Vitamin A helps improve vision whereas Vitamin D helps in the formation of bones. Both the vitamins play an important role in maintenance and repair of skin.
• The calcium present in it promotes growth and maintenance of teeth and bones throughout life.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.