Added to 2 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 3908 times
Peethiwali poori is a deep fried Indian bread or poori recipe with spicy urad dal paste. A popular dish of southern states of India, this peethiwali poori is delicious when served with boiled aloo or potato subzi.
- Wash and soak the urad dal in 2-3 cups of water for a couple of hours. drain and keep aside.
- Wash, remove stems and chop green chillies.
- Heat ghee in a pan, add cumin seeds, green cardamoms, cinnamon, coriander seeds, asafoetida powder and sauté. add drained urad dal and continue to sauté. add sea salt, chopped green chillies and red chilli powder. mix and take off the heat.
- Cool slightly and then grind the mixture in a mixer coarsely.
- Make a dough with whole wheat flour, salt, a little oil and enough water. keep it covered with a damp cloth for about 15 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 12-16 equal sized balls. flatten each ball with fingertips and place a little dal filling in the centre. bring the edges together and form a ball.
- Roll these balls into not too thin puris. heat sufficient oil in a kadai and deep fry till golden brown.
- Serve hot
This recipe was contributed by chandapappa on 02 Sep 2002
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.