Methi Mutter Malai
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 230 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 131220 times
Think Punjabi main course, and this is one of the first dishes that comes to your mind! Methi Mutter Malai is a please-all dish. Right from kids to elders, everyone loves the creaminess and pleasant flavour of this curry.
The gravy has a mildly-sweet taste, which is complemented well by the addictive taste of fenugreek leaves. The freshly-ground spice mix gives the dish a strong flavour and lingering aroma, while the wise use of poppy seeds and cashews gives it a lusciously creamy mouth-feel.
Fenugreek leaves and green peas together give you ample iron, so this is a good way of topping up on the nutrient, especially for those who are normally fussy about eating green leafy veggies.
Had accompained with Chapati , Masalawali Toovar Dal and Cooked Rice ,it gives you the satisfaction of having had a wholesome and tasty meal.
Enjoy how to make Methi Mutter Malai recipe with detailed step by step photos and video below.
- To make methi mutter malai, wash the fenugreek leaves, sprinkle ½ tsp of salt and keep aside for 15 minutes. Squeeze out the water and discard it.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a kadhai and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the fenugreek leaves and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the fenugreek leaves and keep aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tbsp of oil in the same kadhai, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes or till they turn translucent.
- Add the prepared paste, approx. 2 tbsp of water and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomato pulp and dry masala powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the green peas, sautéed fenugreek, milk, sugar, salt and fresh cream and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
Methi Mutter Malai recipe with step by step photos
- In a mixer grinder, take roughly chopped onions.
- Add around 2 roughly chopped green chillies. You can increase or decrease the quantity as per your preference.
- Now add 1" piece ginger. Roughly chop the adrak so, that it blends well.
- Add garlic cloves to it.
- Add the broken cashewnuts. kaju helps in making the gravy creamier and richer.
- Add poppy seeds. Also, you can use melon seeds.
- Using approximately 2.5 tbsp of water, grind into a smooth paste.
- It looks like this after grinding.Keep the creamy, rich paste for methi matar malai aside.
- In a small non-stick tadka pan, take 1" piece cinnamon.
- Add 4 cloves.
- Now add 2 cardamoms.
- Add the black peppercorns.
- Add the cumin seeds.
- Roast everything for 1-2 minutes till the spices turn light brown in colour and emit pleasant fragrance.
- Cool and blend into a fine powder in a mixer jar. The freshly ground spice-mix enhances the taste of the subzi and helps in making restaurant-style methi matar malai.
- Chop the fenugreek leaves. Approximately 3-3.5 cups of methi leaves make 2 cups of chopped methi.
- Wash the fenugreek leaves so that they are dirt/mud-free.
- Sprinkle ½ tsp of salt and mix well using your hands.
- Keep aside for 15 minutes. Squeeze out the water and discard it. With the drained juices, you get rid of the bitterness from methi leaves.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a kadhai and add the cumin seeds. You can substitute oil with ghee/butter.
- When the seeds crackle, add the fenugreek leaves. Sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove the methi leaves and keep aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tbsp of oil in the same kadhai, add the onions.
- Sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes or till they turn translucent..
- Add the prepared paste and add approx. 2 tbsp of water and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomato pulp.
- Now add the dry spice-mix.
- Mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the green peas. If you are using fresh green peas then boil them in salted water until soft. If you are using frozen green peas then you can use them directly without cooking. Learn how to cook green peas in a microwave.
- Add the sautéed methi leaves.
- Add the milk. Milk along with cream and rich cashew paste gives Fenugreek green peas curry a pleasant flavour and amazing texture.
- Add the sugar and salt. Sugar provides the necesaary mildly sweet taste to methi matar malai.
- Add the fresh cream. The quantity of cream can be adjusted to taste and preference. Substitute with cashew cream if you are a vegan. For a lower calorie version, use more milk as compared to the quantity of cream.
- Cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Consistency of the gravy should be medium thick so adjust it by adding more or less water. Mix well and your North Indian methi matar malai subzi is ready!
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.