Healthy Coconut Chutney
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 68 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 46503 times
Coconut is a fruit which has been looked upon for years as a causative factor of clogged arteries, excess weight and uncontrolled diabetes.
However MCT (medium Chain Triglycerides) is the new research which has shown to improve the action of insulin and thus control blood sugar levels.
With green chillies, ginger and loads of coriander for that flavourful touch, this chutney qualifies as healthy accompaniment to many South Indian delicacies.
But remember rice which is a part of many dosas and idlis is yet high on glycemic index scale and thus are on avoid list of diabetics and weight-watchers.
Instead accompany this Healthy Coconut Chutney with healthier options like Quinoa Dosa, Oats Mutter Dosa, Barley Idli etc.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan and add the chana and urad dal and lightly roast them till they turn crisp and brown in colour. Keep aside to cool.
- When cool, blend the dals in a mixer to a fine powder.
- Add the coconut, coriander, green chillies, ginger and salt to it and blend to a smooth paste 5 tbsp of water. Keep aside.
- For the tempering, heat the oil in a small non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the urad dal, red chillies, curry leaves and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for 10 seconds.
- Pour this tempering over the chutney and mix well.
- Refrigerate and use as required.
Healthy Coconut Chutney Video by Tarla Dalal's Team
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per tbsp
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.