Green Moong Dal and Vegetable Idli, Healthy Moong Dal Idlis
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 131 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 81411 times
Popular South Indian Snacks like idli and dosa are extremely tasty and nutritious, but often not suitable for those with high blood sugar because they are made predominantly with rice.
Here, is a diabetic-friendly version of idli that replaces rice with wholesome moong dal. Adding veggies to the batter improves the nutrient-quotient as well as flavour and texture of the idlis. Relish this mouth-watering Green Moong Dal and Vegetable Idli right off the steamer, with sizzling hot Sambhar .
- Combine the green moong dal, urad dal and fenugreek seeds in a deep bowl and keep aside to soak in enough water for 2 hours. Drain well.
- Blend the green moong dal, urad dal and fenugreek seeds in a mixer along with approx. 1 cup of water till smooth.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, add the salt and mix well. Cover with a lid and keep aside to ferment for 4 hours.
- Once fermented, add the ginger-green chilli paste and coriander and mix well.
- Pour spoonfuls of the batter into greased idli moulds and steam in a steamer for 12 minutes.
- Cool slightly and demould.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make more idlis.
- Serve immediately with sambhar.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per idli
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.