Curried Chana Dal
Added to 1 cookbook
This recipe has been viewed 5015 times
Curried chana dal is a traditional indian curry recipe with lentils like chana dal or bengal gram. The soaked chana dal is boiled with ginger and spice powders and then tempered with onions which have been fried in butter. Simply awesome when served hot with rice , garnished with coriander leaves.
- Clean, wash and soak the chana dal overnight.
- Drain, add 5 cups of water, turmeric, cumin seeds , coriander, and cayenne pepper in a deep pan and bring to a boil.
- Cover and cook for about 1 hour or till the dal is cooked.
- Keep aside.
- Heat the butter in a broad pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions, garlic, and ginger and saute till onion turns golden brown.
- Add chana dal along with the water, mix well and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Cover pan and simmer for about 30 minutes or till the chana dal is tender but not mushy.
- Add the garam masala and mix well.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
This recipe was contributed by mcgraff on 29 Jul 2011
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.