Chawal Bhakri Chivda, Rice Flour Bhakri Chivda
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 19 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 5708 times
The Chawal Bhakri Chivda is a super tasty snack with a really different flavour. Here, strips of bhakri are cooked with flavourful ingredients like tomatoes, onions, ginger and green chillies to get a scrumptious snack.
Tomatoes give the chivda a nice tang and a bit of moisture, which works well with the dryness of Chawal Bhakri to give you a well-balanced texture. Onions on the other hand give a nice crunch and strong flavour, which is highlighted further with a dash of lemon juice and a sprinkling of chopped coriander leaves.
Enjoy this Chawal Bhakri Chivda immediately after preparation, when the texture and flavour are fresh and delightful.
Relish it with a cup of hot Elaichi Tea . You can also use rice flour to make other snacks like Rice Flour Chakli and Rice Panki .
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl and knead into a semi-soft dough using enough water. Keep aside.
- Divide the dough into 5 equal portions.
- Roll a portion of the dough into a 150 mm. (6”) diameter circle using a little rice flour for rolling.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) on a medium flame and when hot, place the roti gently over it.
- Put a little water with your fingers evenly all over.
- Cook it till small blisters appear on the surface. Turn over the roti and cook for a few more seconds.
- Cook it on an open flame till it puffs up and brown spots appear on both the sides.
- Repeat with the remaining dough portions to make 4 more bhakris.
- Cool completely, tear them into pieces. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds and mustard seeds and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the chilli powder, coriander-cumin seeds powder, turmeric powder, sugar, lemon juice and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the bhakri pieces and coriander, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||319.2 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1.6 mg|
|Vitamin C||10.6 mg|
|Folic Acid||7.5 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.