Bread Dhokla, Instant Bread Dhokla
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 14 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 16857 times
The Bread Dhokla is a quick-fix dhokla that is easy, convenient and tasty. Made with a batter of bread crumbs and rava perked up with the usual flavour-givers like green chillies and ginger, the Bread Dhokla tastes so good and so much like the authentic dhokla that nobody can guess that it is made of bread unless you tell them.
A traditional tempering adds to the authenticity of the dhoklas making it very appealing. Make sure you serve it immediately with green chutney to enjoy the nice, soft texture.
You can also try other recipes like the Methi Moong Dal Dhokla or Instant Corn Dhokla .
Add your private note
Bread Dhokla, Instant Bread Dhokla recipe - How to make Bread Dhokla, Instant Bread Dhokla
Preparation Time:    Cooking Time:    Total Time:
Makes 3 servings
- Combine bread crumbs, semolina, curds, ginger-green chilli paste, chilli powder, ½ tbsp oil, salt and ½ cup of water in a deep bowl and mix well.
- Cover it with a lid and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Just before steaming, add the fruit salt and add 2 tsp of water over it and mix gently.
- Pour batter in a greased 175 mm. (7") diameter thali and spread it to make an even layer.
- Steam the dhoklas for 12 minutes or till the dhoklas are cooked. Cool slightly.
- Heat the remaining 1 tbsp of oil in a small non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds, sesame seeds and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Pour this tempering over the prepared dhokla and cut into square pieces.
- Serve immediately with green chutney.
Bread Dhokla, Instant Bread Dhokla by Tarla Dalal
Bread Dhokla, Instant Bread Dhokla recipe with step by step photos
- Take fresh bread crumbs in a deep bowl. As, we will be adding red chilli powder in the batter it is okay if you keep the crust intact while grinding the bread slices.
- Now add semolina to it. Another variation is to add besan and follow the same procedure.
- Add the curd. The rava/sooji will absorb the moisture and soften.
- Add the ginger- green chilli paste.
- Add little chilli powder. You can even use turmeric powder to give them a feel like khaman dhokla.
- Also, add ½ tbsp oil and salt. Oil is added to get soft and fluffy dhoklas after steaming.
- Using ½ cup of water, mix well to form a batter.
- Cover it with a lid and keep aside for 15 minutes. This recipe does not require any fermenting time making Instant bread dhokla an amazing option for quick breakfast or evening snack.
- Just before steaming, add the fruit salt and add 2 tsp of water over it and mix gently. Don’t mix it vigorously, just gently fold in so, that the air bubbles do not escape. Fruit salt provides a spongey texture.
- Pour batter in a greased 175 mm. (7") diameter thali. Ensure that after adding the fruit salt, pour it immediately in the thali & don’t let the batter sit idle for long.
- Spread it to make an even layer.
- Steam the dhoklas for 12 minutes or till the dhoklas are cooked. To check whether the bread dhokla are steamed perfectly, insert a knife or toothpick in it and check if it comes out clean. If it does not, then steam for another 2-3 minutes. Keep aside and cool slightly.
- Heat the remaining 1 tbsp of oil in a small non-stick pan.
- Add the mustard seeds, sesame seeds and asafetida.
- Mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Pour this tempering over the prepared dhokla.
- Spread it evenly with the help of a spoon.
- Cut into square pieces.
- Serve the quick and easy bread dhokla immediately with green chutney.
- Palak Methi Dhokla, Makai ka dhokla, Buckwheat dhokla are some other delicious dhokla recipes!
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||119.7 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.7 mg|
|Vitamin C||0.3 mg|
|Folic Acid||1.9 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.