by Tarla Dalal
Added to 370 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 445425 times
This is one of the most delicious methods of cooking brinjal or Baingan. The achaaris masala is very popular in Punjabi cooking and contrary to popular belief does not use any actual achaar or pickle. It is a flavourful blend of carefully chosen spices and curds. The achaaris masala is truly representative of the variety of spices used in Punjabi cooking such as onion seeds (kalonji), mustard seeds, garam masala and dry mango powder. Here I have added the very versatile brinjal to this tongue ticking masala. However feel free to add any vegetable of you choice or even paneer to the achaaris gravy.
- Combine the brinjals with the prepared marinade in a deep bowl and toss gently. Keep aside for 5 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai and deep-fry the marinade brinjals in it till they are golden brown in colour from all the sides.
- Drain on an absorbent paper and keep aside.
- Combine the fennel seeds, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, onion seeds, cumin seeds and asafoetida in a small bowl and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan and add the above mixture.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions, ginger-garlic paste and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder, punjabi garam masala, dry mango powder and salt and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the curds, fried brinjals and fresh cream, mix gently and cook on a slow flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||339.3 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.6 mg|
|Vitamin C||8.9 mg|
|Folic Acid||24.9 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.