Panchratni Dal ( Eat Well Stay Well Recipes )
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 41 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 13076 times
Panchratni dal, the dish is a blend of dals with spices; it is a tasty accompaniment to rice, rich in protein, iron and calcium. Calcium decreases as you age and hence needs constant supply whereas iron is required to maintain hemoglobin levels, especially for women.
- Clean, wash and soak the moong, masoor, urad, chana dal and toovar dal in warm water for at least an hour. Drain and keep aside.
- Add 4 cups of water, mix well and pressure cook on a medium flame for 3 whistles or till the dals are cooked.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the cardamom, cinnamon and cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds crackle, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame till they turn golden brown in colour, while stirring continuously.
- Add the tomatoes, coriander powder, chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin seeds powder and fennel seeds powder and cook on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the curds, mix well and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring once in between.
- Add the cooked dals and salt, mix well and bring to boil. Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values Per Serving
|Energy|| 240 calories|
|Protein|| 13.5 gm|
|Carbohydrates|| 33.1 gm|
|Fat|| 5.4 gm|
|Calcium|| 117.4 mg|
|Iron|| 2.7 mg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.