Hariyali Chawal, Coriander Rice Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 816 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 12949 times
Here is a simple, easy-to-prepare dish that has an inviting aroma and irresistible flavour! Hariyali Chawal involves simply cooking rice with an assortment of spices, before mixing in a generous dose of chopped coriander.
Interestingly, the coriander is not ground into a paste but simply chopped finely and mixed into the rice as soon as it is cooked. This gives it a really appetising look and unique flavour. The garnish of fried onions is as important as the coriander for the success of this dish, so spare a few minutes to prepare it.
Serve hot with Teen Ratna Dal and Gajar Gobhi Aur Aam ka Achaar .
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker, add the peppercorns, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and onions and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the rice and sauté on a medium flame for another 3 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of hot water and salt, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Transfer the rice in a deep bowl, add the chopped coriander and mix gently using a fork so that the rice grains do not break.
- Serve hot garnished with fried onions.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.