Jada Poha Chivda, Jar Snack
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 3 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 29850 times
Jada Poha Chivda is the homemade version of an all-time favourite Maharashtrian jar snack. With a mix of sweet, salty and nutty flavours, and a wondrous blend of textures, the Jada Poha Chivda is sure to appeal to young and old alike.
It is important to deep-fry each of the ingredients separately and drain them before mixing together. And don’t forget the pinch of sugar because it is responsible for the unique flavour of the chivda.
This Jada Poha Chivda takes quite similar to the store-bought one, but has a fresher taste and crispier mouth-feel.
Try other jar snack recipes like Thattai or Whole Wheat Flour Chakli .
- Heat the oil for deep-frying in a deep non-stick pan, dip the strainer in it and put half of the poha in it and deep-fry on a medium flame till it turns crisp but not brown. Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Repeats step 1 to deep-fry the remaining half of the poha. Keep aside.
- In the same strainer, place the coconut slices and deep-fry them in the same oil till they turn light brown in colour from both the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper and keep aside.
- Repeat step 3 to deep-fry the roasted chana dal, cashewnuts, curry leaves, peanuts and raisins individually one by one. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in another deep non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds and asafeotida.
- When the seeds crackle, add the turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt and mix well.
- Add all the deep-fried ingredients, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl and cool slightly.
- Once slightly cooled, add the sugar and toss well.
- Cool completely and serve or store in an air-tight container and use as required.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per cup
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.