Fried Chana Dal, Savoury Jar Snack
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 15 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 51579 times
fried chana dal recipe | chana dal namkeen | savoury jar snack | market style fried chana dal is a common, time-tested namkeen that nobody tires of! Learn how to make market style fried chana dal.
To make fried chana dal, soak the chan dal in enough water for 3 hours. Drain well and place them on a big muslin cloth and pat it with another muslin cloth over it allow them to dry for atleast 15 minutes or till there is no water and they are dry. Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, dip the strainer in it and put half the chana dal in it and deep-fry on a medium flame till it turns crisp. Remove excess oil by patting with tissue paper. Sprinkle the spice mixture made of chilli powder, Kashmiri chilli power, black salt and salt and toss well. Cool completely and serve.
The crispiness of the chana dal namkeen together with the chatpata seasoning makes it a great success with young and old. Mumbai style Bhel Puri and Sev Puri are incomplete without this market style fried chana dal.
Fried chana dal is a part of many other delicious chaat recipes like Delhi Style Aloo Chaat.
It is a priceless, intensely satisfying experience to pop some of this into your mouth before you sip your hot tea or coffee. Don’t miss it! Also enjoy making a chaat with this savoury jar snack by way of Chana Dal Chaat. Combined with onions and tomatoes and pepped up with with some fresh coriander and lemon juice, it tastes awesome!
Tips to make fried chana dal. 1. Ensure to dry the chana dal well before deep-frying. Add the spice powder to the chana dal namkeen immediately after deep-frying, so that the spice mixture coats the dal well.
You can also try other jar snacks like Verki Puri or Nimki.
- Soak the chana dal in enough hot water in a deep bowl for 3 hours.
- Drain well using a strainer.
- Place them on a big muslin cloth and pat it with another muslin cloth over it allow them to dry for atleast 15 minutes or till there is no water and they are dry.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, dip the strainer in it and put half the chana dal in it and deep-fry on a medium flame till it turns crisp. This would take approx. 7 to 8 minutes.
- Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Dap another tissue on it to remove the excess oil.
- Sprinkle half of the prepared spice mixture evenly over it and toss well.
- Repeat steps 4 to 6 to deep-fry the chana dal in 1 more batch.
- Cool completely and store in an air-tight container. Use as required.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per cup
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.