instant rava appe recipe | instant vegetable rava appam | South Indian style rava appe |
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 36 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 181445 times
instant rava appe recipe | instant vegetable rava appam | South Indian style rava appe | with 19 amazing images.
instant rava appe is quick and easy batter of semolina and curds fortified with colourful and crunchy veggies, yields mouth-watering instant rava appam that’ll appeal to young and old alike.
The Instant Rava Appe is a scrumptious South Indian snack, which can be enjoyed with breakfast or at tea-time. This Quick Vegetable Appe recipe is something you can whip in no time for a jhatpat South-Indian breakfast and is made in a special equipment called appe mould, which is easily available in the market.
To make instant rava appe take rava in a bowl, we have added curd to it as it will inherit sourness in the appe and also make it soft, also adding water and making a smooth batter. Further, we have added veggies which make it nutritive and also enhance the taste of it, followed by green chili paste. Every South-Indian dish is incomplete without the tempering, so we have tempered the batter with tempering of mustard seeds and curry leaves.
Mix well and heat the appe mould and pour spoonful of batter in each mould. Cook both the sides till golden brown using very little oil. Also, make sure you cook instant rava appam on a slow flame or else they will turn brown from the outside and stay uncooked from inside. Serve the instant rava appam hot with coconut chutney immediately. The taste is enjoyed better when relished hot.
instant rava appe is super simple to make as there is no grinding or fermentation required. You can just make it on a whim any time you wish. You can add any other vegetables also to this instant rava appe as per your liking. Serve it with coconut chutney.
Also try your hand at making other South Indian snacks like Mysore Bonda and Medu Vada.
Enjoy instant rava appe recipe | instant vegetable rava appam | South Indian style rava appe | with detailed step by step recipe photos and video below.
- Combine the semolina and curds with approx. 5 tbsp of water and mix well using a whisk.
- Add the carrot, capsicum, onions, coriander, green chilli paste and salt and mix well. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a small non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add it to the semolina-curd mixture and mix well.
- Heat the appe mould on a medium flame and grease it using ½ tsp of oil.
- Pour 1 tbsp of the batter into each mould.
- Cook using ½ tsp of oil till the lower surface becomes golden brown and then turn each appe upside down using a fork so as to cook them from the other side as well.
- Repeat steps 5 to 7 to make 21 more appes in 3 more batches.
- Serve the instant rava appe immediately with coconut chutney.
Instant Rava Appe Video by Tarla Dalal
Instant Rava Appe recipe with step by step photos
Generally, appe (paniyaram) are made using leftover idli and dosa batter. Quick Vegetable Appe recipe is something you can whip in no time for a jhatpat South-Indian breakfast.
instant rava appe recipe | instant vegetable rava appam | South Indian style rava appe | are made in special equipment called the appe mould. You can check our wide collection of recipes using appe mould.
For the instant rava appe recipe | instant vegetable rava appam | South Indian style rava appe | take fine semolina in a deep bowl.
- Add curd to it. Curd not only provides a sour flavour but also, softens the semolina quickly.
- Using approximately 5 tbsp of water, mix well using a whisk. Ensure that no lumps remain.
- Now add a myriad of vegetables like grated carrot.
- Add finely chopped capsicum. You can also skip adding vegetables and make plain appe with the typical South-Indian tempering.
- Add finely chopped onions. They not only make the batter colorful and nutritious but, also provide a nice crunch to the appe on cooking.
- Finally, add coriander and green chilli paste.
- Now add salt to taste, mix well and keep aside. The best part about this batter is that it doesn't require any grinding or fermenting.
- Heat the oil in a small non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds.
- Once the seeds crackles, add the hing and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the tempering to the semolina-curd mixture and mix well. The batter should be of thick pouring consistency. Many people add baking soda or fruit salt to the batter. You can add if you wish to.
Heat the appe mould on a medium flame and grease it using ½ tsp of oil. Some recipe followers ask if Instant Rava Appe can be made in idli stand? No, you cannot make it.
- Pour 1 tbsp of the batter into each mould.
Cook rava appe using ½ tsp of oil till the lower surface becomes golden brown.
Turn each rava appe upside down using a fork so as to cook them from the other side as well. Make sure you cook them on a slow flame or else they will turn brown from the outside and stay uncooked from inside.
Repeat steps 14 to 17 to make 21 more rava appes in 3 more batches.
Serve instant rava appe | instant vegetable rava appam | South Indian style rava appe | immediately with coconut chutney. See our collection of appe recipes.
Q. Can i carry this in tiffin? Will it stay soft even after cooling? If you need to carry for office, we would suggest you to add 1 tsp of fruit salt or a pinch of baking soda and then cook it in the appe mould. This way the softness of appe will remain even after cold.
Q. Is there a substitute for yogurt? You can add 1/4 cup rice flour alongwith 1/2 semolina, add water to adjust consistency and let it soak. Once soaked add 1/4 tsp soda bicarb and make the appe.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per appe
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.