by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 106 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 93788 times
Jaggery is referred to as "gol" and mangoes are known as "keri" in Gujarat. In the past, this pickle entailed a lengthy process as salt and turmeric powder (haldi) was applied to the raw mangoes and filled in jars for 2 to 3 days after which the mangoes were sun-dried for 5 to 6 hours. As the name suggests, this recipe is a quicker version of the traditional Gujarati pickle. I have found my own shortcut for this recipe without sacrificing its flavour. Now there is no need to sit and wait for the mangoes to dry in the sun. Just follow this easy to prepare recipe. Golkeri is an ideal accompaniment for muthias.
- Apply the salt and turmeric powder to the mango cubes and leave aside for 15 minutes.
- Steam the mangoes for 5 minutes and cool completely. Pat them dry using a dry absorbent cloth.
- Powder the split mustard seeds, crushed fenugreek seeds in a blender.
- Heat the mustard oil in a pan. Add the jaggery, ground seed mixture and coriander seeds and stir continuously till the jaggery dissolves.
- Add the steamed mangoes and chilli powder and mix well.
- Bottle in a sterilised glass jar and allow the flavours of the pickle to mellow down. The jaggery syrup will turn clear from an opaque thick syrup. This is ready to serve after 2 to 3 days.
- Store in a cool dry place at room temperature for 6 months.
- Care has to be taken while dissolving jaggery on the flame.
- Cook only till the jaggery dissolves and immediately take the pickle out of the flame to prevent the jaggery from getting caramelised.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per tbsp
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.