Nimbu Adrak ka Achaar
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 547 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 93225 times
This quick recipe of one of the easiest and most economical pickles to make and is used by most Punjabi households.
Lemon juice and salt act as a preservative in this recipe. Fresh tender root ginger available during the monsoon months is best suited for this pickle.
Choose lemons that are firm with a smooth, shiny yellow skin and wash them thoroughly before pickling them. The pickle is ready to eat after 10 days.
This bitter pickle is surprisingly good with rich spiced dishes. I suggest you also try it out with Paneer Stuffed Green Pea Parathas .
- Wash the lemons thoroughly. Wipe them dry using a dry kitchen towel.
- Cut 4 lemons into 2 halves each. Squeeze out the juice of the lemons. Separately keep aside the lemon juice and lemon skins.
- Cut 4 slits on each of the remaining lemons. Place all the lemons and lemon skins in a sterilised glass jar.
- Combine the lemon juice, salt, turmeric powder, green chillies, ginger and ground red chillies and mix well.
- Pour this mixture over the lemons. Press down the lemons in the jar with a spoon so that the lemon juice covers the lemons.
- Cover with a lid and keep in the sun for 8 to 10 days or until the lemons are soft and their skins give way under the pressure of your thumb. Toss the ingredients in the jar occasionally.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.