amla pickle recipe | amla achar | Indian gooseberry pickle |
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 77 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 404711 times
amla pickle recipe | amla achar | Indian gooseberry pickle | with 18 amazing images.
This spicy amla pickle recipe is a true tongue-tickler, with the perfect masala for tangy amlas! Ideal to serve with any meal, it tastes especially great with rice and dal.
amla achar has a lingering flavour, which is both spicy and sour, thanks to the use of various spices and seeds ranging from fennel and fenugreek seeds to chilli powder and asafoetida.
The fennel and nigella are crushed and added to the Indian gooseberry pickle to give an immense boost to its flavour and aroma. Using mustard oil too gives the amla pickle a classic flavour.
Let the amla pickle soak for two hours before relishing it. You can also store amla achar in the refrigerator for later use.
Tips for amla pickle recipe. 1. Buy good quality amla that are firm, without any bruises and wash them in clean water before boiling. 2. Cook amlas on a medium flame for 6 minutes, while stirring it occasionally. This helps to soften the amla. Do not overcook the amlas as they will lose their shape.
Have a go at other delectable pickles like the Quick Carrot and Capsicum Pickle and Raw Papaya Pickle.
Enjoy amla pickle recipe | amla achar | Indian gooseberry pickle | with step by step photos below.
- To make amla pickle, combine the amlas in enough water in a deep non-stick pan and cook on a medium flame for 6 minutes, while stirring it occasionally.
- Drain the water and cool completely.
- Cut the amlas into wedges and discard the seeds.
- Heat the oil in a small non-stick pan on a medium flame for 2 minutes or till it is smoky, switch off the flame and allow it cool slightly.
- Combine the nigella seeds and fennel seeds in a mortar and pestle, and crush it till coarse.
- Combine the coarse mixture, fenugreek seeds, chilli powder, turmeric powder, asafetida, mustard oil and salt and mix well.
- Add the amla wedges to the mustard oil mixture, mix well and keep aside for 2 hours.
- Serve the amla pickle immediately or store it in an air-tight container and keep it refrigerated and use as required.
Amla Pickle video, Amla achar by Tarla Dalal
Amla Pickle, Amla Achar, Gooseberry Pickle recipe with step by step photos
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per tbsp
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.