Drumstick Pickle, South Indian Pickle
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 26 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 67634 times
A very different and unusual pickle from the kitchens of South India, the Drumstick Pickle is perfectly spiced and 100% sure to tickle your taste buds.
Sautéed drumstick pieces are allowed to marinate in a tangy and spicy base that includes tamarind pulp, asafoetida and a freshly-ground masala powder that lends the pickle strong hints of fenugreek and mustard.
As the pickle marinates for a day or two, you will find that the drumstick mingles well with the spices to give you a really exhilarating pickle.
If you believe that the right accompaniments make your meal complete, try your hand at other delicious ones like the Quick Carrot and Capsicum Pickle and the Spicy Lemon Pickle .
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the drumstick and sauté on a medium flame for 4 minutes.
- Drain well and keep aside.
- In the same oil add the mustard seeds, chana dal, kashmiri chillies and curry leaves, asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for few seconds.
- Add the red chilli powder, turmeric powder, tamarind pulp, the prepared powder, and salt mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the fried drumstick, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Cool completely, store it in an air-tight container and keep in a cool and dry place for 2 days.
- Serve as required.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per tbsp
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.