Baby Mangoes in Brine
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 86 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 55564 times
As a child, I used to stand by my mother's side when she used to pickle baby mangoes. The sight of miniature mangoes being poured into pickle jars was always a treat to watch and the baby mangoes Were fun to eat. Raw baby mangoes are approximately 12 mm. to 25 mm. (½" to 1") in size and are available just before the mango season begins i.e. before summers. You will find these at specialty vegetable vendors, so look out for them. Baby mangoes can be pickled using any mango pickle recipe or they can be preserved in brine (which is a salt solution). I personally like to preserve them in brine. The mangoes stay crisp and firm with a predominantly salty taste. You can drain out the brine preserved mangoes and combine them with pickling spices and oil to make a quick, out-of-season baby mango pickle. While brining these mangoes, be careful to retain the small stalks of the baby mangoes. They help to preserve the mangoes for a longer period. However, if you do not find baby mangoes, use raw mango pieces which taste just as good but do not look as pretty and petite.
- Wash the baby mangoes and pat them dry using a dry kitchen cloth, taking care to keep the stems intact. Keep aside.
- Combine the salt with 2 cups of water in a pan and bring to a boil.
- Allow the salt water to cool completely.
- Add the baby mangoes to it.
- Bottle the pickle in a sterilised glass jar covered with a light lid.
- The mangoes will be ready to eat after 6 to 7 days.
- VARIATION :
- MANGOES IN BRINE
- Use 2 cups of raw mangoes instead of baby mangoes for the above recipe and cut them into 25 mm.(1") cubes.
- When raw mangoes are out of season, drain out these brine preserved mangoes and use them for preparing any spicy mango pickle (e.g. punjabi aam ka ac
- When using raw mangoes which have been preserved in brine to make such pickles, you do not need to sun dry the mangoes if the recipe calls for it.
- Also do not apply salt to the mangoes.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.