split mustard seeds
Last Updated : Aug 21,2022
Viewed 58672 times
Also Known as
Rai na Kuria, Rai Kuria, Cracked mustard seeds
What is split mustard seeds, rai na kuria, rai kuria?
Split mustard seeds or rai na kuria refers to mustard seeds, which are split through a special process. First, the skin of the mustard seeds are removed and discarded. The skinless seeds are then ground coarsely. This coarsely ground skinless mustard is often referred to as split mustard seeds, cracked mustard seeds, rai kuria or rai na kuria. It is a common ingredient used in making Indian pickles.
Crushed split mustard seeds
To crush the split mustard seeds, put them in a mixer jar and pulse for 2 to 3 seconds and pause. Repeat it once more if needed.
How to select split mustard seeds, rai na kuria, rai kuria
• Split mustard seeds are easily available in grocery stores.
• You can also make it at home by crushing using a mortal pestle or mixer-grinder. However, the colour of the split mustard prepared at home might be different from that of commercially packed ones, as the latter usually has a little turmeric powder added to it for visual appeal and preservation.
Culinary Uses of split mustard seeds, rai na kuria, rai kuria
• Split mustard seeds work well as a preservative are commonly added to Indian pickles for this purpose, as well as for their flavour.
• A sprinkling of split mustard seeds can be added when pickling or boiling vegetables such as cabbage.
• It is a wonderful addition to curds, with coriander or parsley leaves.
How to store split mustard seeds, rai na kuria, rai kuria
• Store split mustard seeds in an airtight container in a cool, dry place. It lasts up to six months.
• You can also store them in the refrigerator to increase its shelf life.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.