Hyderabadi Khatti Dal
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 26 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 26070 times
Loads of tomatoes and tamarind give this Hyderabadi Khatti Dal a tongue-tickling tanginess, while a splash of spice powders and other pungent ingredients like ginger, garlic and green chillies add to its finger-licking taste!
This everyday dal is made very frequently in Hyderabadi homes, and is one of the undisputed favourites in that region. It is enjoyed hot and fresh with plain rice or rotis.
You can also try other Hyderabadi dishes like Bakar Khani Naan and Sheermal .
- Soak the toovar dal in enough water in a deep bowl for 1 hour. Drain well.
- Combine the dal, tomatoes, 1 tbsp of garlic, ginger, ¼ tsp turmeric, little salt and 2½ cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 4 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Whisk the dal using a whisk, add the tamarind pulp, green chillies, coriander , remaining ¼ tsp turmeric powder, coriander powder, chilli powder, salt, mix well and cook on medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a small non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds and sauté on medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add asafoetida, curry leaves, remaining 1 tbsp of garlic, kashmiri red chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Pour the tempering over the dal and mix well.
- Serve hot with rice or rotis.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.