How many calories does one serving of Hyderabadi Khatti Dal have?
One serving of Hyderabadi Khatti Dal gives 195 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 122 calories, proteins account for 38 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 37 calories. One serving of Hyderabadi Khatti Dal provides about 8 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See Hyderabadi Khatti Dal recipe. Loads of tomatoes and tamarind give this Hyderabadi Khatti Dal a tongue-tickling tanginess, while a splash of spice powders and other pungent ingredients like ginger, garlic and green chillies add to its finger-licking taste! This everyday dal is made very frequently in Hyderabadi homes, and is one of the undisputed favourites in that region. It is enjoyed hot and fresh with plain rice or rotis.
Is Hyderabadi Khatti Dal healthy?
Yes, this is healthy. But restrictions apply to some.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Toor Dal (tuvar dal, arhar dal, toovar dal) : Toor dal is rich in proteins, the building block of good health. High in fiber, diabetic and heart friendly. Being an excellent source of folic acid, pregnant women must include toor dal in their daily diet. Being an excellent source of fibre it helps in preventing and relieving gastric problems like constipation. See detailed benefits of toor dal.
2. Tomatoes : Tomatoes are extremely rich source of Lycopene. Tomatoes are a powerful antioxidant, super rich in Vitamin C, good for heart. Tomatoes are a Pregnant women's friend and are rich in Folate or Folic Acid which helps your body to produce and maintain new cells, especially red blood cells. Read about 13 amazing benefits of tomatoes.
3. Garlic : Garlic has been proven to lower cholesterol. The active ingredient allicin present in garlic aids in lowering blood pressure. Garlic is also alleged to help regulate blood glucose levels for diabetics. Garlic is great for the heart and circulatory system. Garlic has an antimicrobial, antiviral and antifungal function and can help in relieving common cold and other infections. The thiosulphate compound, Allicin found in garlic acts as a strong antioxidant and protects our body from damage of free radicals. Read here for complete benefits of garlic.
What's the problem?
Imli (Tamarind) : Tamarind is good for heart due to the fibre present which has a cholesterol lowering effect. It is also good for diabetics. But too much tamarind is bad for health.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Hyderabadi Khatti Dal?
Yes, this recipe is good for diabetics, heart and weight loss BUT have in moderation as too much tamrind is not good for health.
Can healthy individuals have Hyderabadi Khatti Dal?
Have in moderation because of Imli.
Hyderabadi Khatti Dal is high in
1. Folic Acid : Folic acid is an essential vitamin required throughout pregnancy.
2. Phosphorous : Phosphorous works closely with calcium to build bones.
3. Vitamin B1 : Vitamin B1 protects nerves, helps in carbohydrate metabolism, prevents heart diseases and helps produce red blood cells.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 195 calories that come from Hyderabadi Khatti Dal?
Walking (6 kmph) = 59 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 20 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 26 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 33 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.