Also known as
Badam ka doodh
Almond milk is a creamy and tasty milk substitute, which is rich in protein and iron. Made with almonds, this non-dairy product is ideal for lactose-intolerant people. Being free of cholesterol, it is also preferred by health-conscious people, endurance athletes, runners and triathletes. It is consumed widely in the US, where around 25 per cent of the people are lactose intolerant and cannot digest the sugar in cow’s milk.
Almond milk is available in tetra packs, but can also be made at home. It is made by blending water and almonds in a blender, and is often flavoured aesthetically with a tinge of vanilla essence. It can be had plain or sweetened with honey.
• Almond milk can be enjoyed plain, or with a dash of honey.
• It can also be used to make milkshakes, puddings, smoothies, oatmeal, cookies, breads, and other products.
How to buy
• Almond milk is readily available in tetra packs.
• Choose a pack size as required, and read the label before purchasing to check the expiry date and other details.
• It is better to buy almond milk that is not sweetened with sugar. You can always sweeten it at home with organic honey, if required.
• Alternatively, you can buy good quality almonds and make it at home also. Check the Homemade Almond Milk , for doing so.
How to store
• Homemade fresh almond milk will last for three days in the refrigerator, if stored in an airtight, clean container.
• Readymade almond milk in tetra packs will last longer. Check the pack for instructions regarding storage.
6 Health Benefits of Almond Milk
1. Vitamin E Rich : Provides 50% of the RDA from one glass of Almond milk. Vitamin E can fight free radical damage, which leads to cholesterol oxidation. It also slows down the hardening or thickening of arteries.
2. Calcium Rich : You can get 20% of RDA from a glass of Almond Milk. Calcium is a mineral that makes bones stay strong.
3. Lactose Free : Almond milk is made with Almonds and water and hence contains no milk or lactase. This is a much healthier option to have than milk as pure milk is very hard to digest for most people. Try our Homemade Almond Milk .
4. Rich in Vitamin D : Store bought Almond Milk comes fortified with Vitamin D. A 200 ml tetra pack of Almond milk has between 140 to 200 IU of Vitamin D which forms about 15% to 20% of the RDA. Always buy the unsweetened Almond milk. Vitamin D is key to absorption of Calcium and Phosphorus and development of bones.
5. Good for Vegans : Those following a Vegan diet don’t consume milk products. But Almond Milk and Coconut milk works great for them.
6. Low in Fat : Almond Milk is great for Weight Loss as one glass consists of only 2.4 grams of fat.
Glycemic Index of Almond Milk
Almond Milk has a Glycemic Index of 25 which is low. Glycemic Index are for foods you eat, ranks carbohydrate-containing foods by how quickly they digest and raise your blood sugar or glucose levels. Foods rank from 0 to 50 are low GI, 51 to 69 are medium and 70 to 100 are high. Foods that are high in GI are not suitable for weight loss and diabetics. Foods like Almond Milk have a low GI and hence don't spike your glucose level as they are absorbed slowly. Great for weight loss and diabetics.