Before chopping, wash the kale leaves thoroughly under cool running water to remove any sand or dirt that may remain in the leaves. After removing any roots that remain, chop them thinly or roughly, using a sharp knife, as per recipe requirements.
7 Health Benefits of Kale
1. High in Omega 3 Fatty Acids: Kale has a higher ratio of Omega 3 fatty 180 mg to Omega 6 fatty acids 138 mg. Hence it is a good Anti inflammatory food for our body which is caused by eating processed foods and too much sugar or candy.
2. Antioxidant Food : Kale is a good anti oxidant food which helps fight the free radicals in the body. Free radicals are formed in the body and also come from external toxins like polluted air, processed foods and poor quality water. These free radicals need to be neutralised in the body as they comes in lots of different grades and you need to neutralise that by consuming different Anti Oxidant rich foods. Only one food will not do the trick. Kale is one of the foods which will help. But remember to consume a rainbow of colourful vegetables and fruits daily. Remember that free radicals cause Oxidative stress which results in the damage of cell walls creating a possibility of heart disease and cancer.
3. Cruciferous vegetables are Anti Cancer : Cruciferous vegetables like Kale and Broccoli when eaten, contain glucosinolates which help fight off bacteria and fungal infection in the body and linked to lowering the risk of colon cancer, breast cancer, but risk of bladder cancer, prostate cancer, ovarian cancer, prostrate cancer and bladder cancer. It is preferable to eat Kale raw instead of cooking it to get the best benefits. Try this salad.
4. Good for Heart
: Kale is a very good source of both Anti Inflammatory and Anti Oxidant resulting in its ability to Lowering Cholesterol
. In fact, most dark green vegetables are rich in nutrients and rich in Vitamin K and Vitamin E which is heart friendly.
5. Helps Blood Clotting : Kale is rich in Vitamin K
which is crucial roll in blood clotting. Helps clot wounds and bleeding as a result of it.
6. Good for Eyes : Kale is rich in the Antioxidants
Lutein and zeaxanthin plus it has beta carotene which is good for eye health. They may help in lower risk of cataract and macular degeneration.
7. Weight Loss
: One cup of chopped Kale is only 20 calories and at the same time it has fibre which will keep you feeling full for a longer time. Glycemic Index of Kale
Kale has a Glycemic Index of 15 which is low. Glycemic Index are for foods you eat, ranks carbohydrate-containing foods by how quickly they digest and raise your blood sugar or glucose levels. Foods rank from 0 to 50 are low GI, 51 to 69 are medium and 70 to 100 are high. Foods that are high in GI are not suitable for weight loss and diabetics. Foods like Kale have a low GI and hence don't spike your glucose level as they are absorbed slowly. Great for weight loss.