• Bean sprouts are best used raw, so combine with vegetables and dressings of your choice to make salads that will jump-start your day.
• Stir fry with zucchini, broccoli, baby corn and spices to make a crisp accompaniment to main courses. You may also add Chinese flavorings like soya sauce, salt and white pepper to enhance the taste.
• Toss with steamed rice, butter and garlic to make healthy yet delicious rice.
• Add to soups, gravies, stews as required to nutritionally boost the recipe.
• Use chopped bean sprouts to make fillings for steamed wontons, spring rolls, parathas, noodle rosti etc.
• In Chinese and Thai cuisine, it is added to noodles, chopsueys, etc. It is a primary ingredient in Pad Thai, a traditional Thai food that is basically stir-fried rice noodles cooked with fish sauce, tamarind juice, eggs and a combination of shrimps, tofu or chicken and bean sprouts, and garnished with peanuts and coriander.
Healthy Indian Bean Sprouts Recipes
As mentioned before, bean sprouts are considered to be very healthy. There are many ways to incorporate it in our diet in a controlled manner that benefits our overall health. Bean sprouts and Veggie Wrap is a protein rich recipe coupled with a ton of antioxidants from broccoli, carrots and other vegetables which are stuffed together in a whole wheat roti.
Combining vegetables and fruits together makes for a wonderful combination. Taking that into account we have the Papaya, Cabbage and Bean Sprouts Salad, which is a slightly Asian salad with raw vegetables and the kick of soy sauce that makes it all better!
International Bean Sprouts Recipes
Chinese cuisine understands the importance of bean sprouts and that’s why uses it in their daily food intake. 5 Spice Tofu and Bean Sprouts Rice is the right example to for this. The delicate rice preparation is flavored with the Chinese 5 spice powder and each ingredient is done justice to.
How to store bean sprouts
• Pack the bean sprouts in zip-lock or plastic containers and refrigerate. Use within two days.
Health benefits of bean sprouts
1. Bean Sprouts
are one of the most complete and nutritional of all the foods that exist.
2. Bean Sprouts have greater concentration of vitamins, minerals and proteins.
3. Bean sprouts have content of living enzymes which boost metabolic process and aid in digestion.
4. With lots of dietary fiber
to their credit, beans sprouts add bulk to stools and makes the passage of stools through the digestive tract easier. This helps to avoid constipation
5. With significant amounts of iron
, beans sprouts help to maintain the red blood cell (RBC)
count. A good RBC count means no sign of anaemia
and in turn no symptoms of fatigue, pale skin, tiredness etc.
6. Bean sprouts are a boon for heart
patients. They help maintain cholesterol
levels in the blood and avoid the formation of plaque. This reduces the chances of heart diseases and strokes.
can also include these healthy sprouts to their diet. They wouldn’t experience a spike in blood sugar levels with the consumption of these sprouts.
8. This is a super food for mums-to-be also. A good folate
count of bean sprouts helps to promote the growth of fetus and prevents neural tube defects.
9. Of course, for athletes and weight watchers too these sprouts are a must. Protein
, minerals, vitamins – all that they need dwells in these sprouts.