How many calories does one tablespoon Punjabi Gajar ka Achar have?
One tablespoon Punjabi Gajar ka Achar gives 17 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 3 calories, proteins account for 0 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 14 calories. One tablespoon Punjabi Gajar ka Achar provides about 1 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See recipe Punjabi Gajar ka Achar | Punjabi gajar ka achar recipe | instant gajar ka achar | instant carrot pickle | with 18 amazing images.
Punjabi gajar ka achar recipe is actually an instant gajar ka achar which is a North Indian carrot pickle. Looking for an economical achar to make, Punjabi gajar ka achar is the answer.
Here we have got you a delicious and a very simple Punjabi gajar ka achar that is popular in North India. Pickles and achar are essential part of Indian meals. instant gajar ka achar have strength to enhance your simplest meals and make them flavourful.
This yummy instant carrot pickle needs just a few minutes of your time. While people tend to think and assume of pickle making process as a long and tiring one, we offer a tasty and easy carrot pickle which can be prepared and relished in a jiffy.
Punjabi gajar ka achar recipe is super quick and easy to make. Even an amateur cook cannot go wrong with this recipe. All you need to do is combine carrot, kalonji, split fenugreek seed and mustard seed, asafoetida, chili powder, turmeric powder and salt. Further, heat some mustard oil and pour over the carrot mixture. Mix well and your carrot pickle is ready to be relished! Make sure you use Indian or red carrot to prepare this pickle!
To make the perfect instant gajar ka achar firstly buy the perfect carrot. Use carrots, which are fresh, firm and without blemish. Wash them thoroughly and wipe them with a clean cloth before use. Traces of water will make the pickle rancid. With a beautiful bright red colour, this pickle goes very well will rotis or parathas. It is best eaten the day it is made. But it must be kept in the refrigerator to make it last for 4 days.
Punjabi gajar ka achar goes very well with plain paratha as you get the perfect taste of the achar.
Is Punjabi Gajar ka Achar healthy?
Yes this is healthy. However you can have small amounts.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Carrots (gajjar) : Carrots have the nutrient Beta Carotene which is a form of Vitamin A, helps prevent deterioration of the eye as one gets older and prevents night blindness. Carrot is great for the eyes.They relieve constipation, lower blood pressure, have fibre and lower cholesterol. Read the 11 super benefiits of carrots and why to include in your daily diet.
2. Nigella Seeds, Kalonji : Black seed contains nigella and melatin, two ingredients that give it highly diversified medicinal powers. These substances work together to improve digestion and to cleanse the body.
• Nigella seeds also help fight against respiratory ailments.
• It also acts as an antihistamine, which helps to reduce the negative symptoms of allergy sufferers.
• It is also a strong antioxidant and helps cleanse the body of toxins.
• Black seed provides a rich supply of polyunsaturated fatty acids, which play a key role in daily health and wellness. They help to regulate metabolism, balance insulin levels, control cholesterol, improve body circulation, and promote healthy liver function.
• Mix a teaspoon of kalonji oil in boiling water and inhale the vapours twice a day. This helps to relieve nasal congestion.
• To arrest vomiting, it helps to take ½ a teaspoon of fresh ginger juice mixed with equal amount of kalonji seeds powder, twice a day.
• For getting rid of worms in the tummy, mix 1 spoon of vinegar with half teaspoon kalonji seeds powder and have it twice daily before food for 10 days, during which time you ought to avoid sweets.
3. Fenugreek Seeds (Methi Seeds) : 1 tsp of fenugreek seeds soaked overnight and consumed early in the morning on an empty stomach is a remarkable cure to control blood sugar levels for diabetics. Fenugreek seeds have been known to benefit the heart by way of reducing cholesterol levels in the blood. Fenugreek seeds have long been suggested to enhance breast milk production to lactating mums. A teaspoon of fenugreek seeds swallowed with half glass water is also a very well-known home remedy for diarrhoea. See detailed benefits of fenugreek seeds methi seeds.
4. Mustard Seeds: Tiny little mustard seeds, mostly added as a tempering, lend an interesting bite, exotic flavour and tempting aroma to Indian foods. Mustard seeds are from the mustard plant, which is a cruciferous vegetable related to broccoli, Brussels sprouts and cabbage.
5. Hing ( Asafoetida) : The active compound 'coumarin' helps in managing blood cholesterol and triglyceride levels. Asafoetida is known to have anti-bacterial properties, which helps to keep asthma at bay. Asafoetida is an age-old remedy for bloating and other stomach problems like flatulence. The best solution is to gulp down little hing with water or dissolve it in water and sip it. It can also be used along with curd or almond oil as a hair mask. It helps to prevent dryness of hair and smoothen as well as strengthen hair.
6. Red chilli powder : Red chilli powder can set the taste buds on fire, and sometimes the tummy too! It is basically a spice blend consisting of one or two types of dried red chillies that are ground and pulverized into a fine powder. It is generally used to add spice to otherwise bland foods.
7. Turmeric Powder (Haldi) : Turmeric helps in digestion of food thus helping to overcome indigestion. Haldi may help in reducing the growth of fat cells in the body. Turmeric, being rich in iron, is highly valuable in the treatment of anaemia and both the root as well as the powder should be a regular part of an anaemic diet. One of the health benefits of turmeric is it’s anti-inflammatory property due to the active compound, Curcumin, which helps to relieve inflammation of the joints and thus is a ladder to relieve pain related to arthritis. The curcumin in haldi also helps to ward of the bacteria’s causing cold, cough and throat irritation. Turmeric benefits in diabetes management by lowering blood glucose levels. Its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects are useful in the treatment of diabetes patients. It is known to be a good brain food and keep diseases like Alzheimer’s at bay. See here for detailed turmeric benefits.
What's the problem?
Benefits of mustard oil : Mustard oil, made from the seeds of mustard, has a very peculiar strong smell, not liked by many. Like avocado oil and olive oil is high in MUFA (mono unsaturated fatty acids) than PUFA (poly unsaturated fatty acids). It has about 60% MUFA. This ratio along with its compound allyl isothiocyanate is kown to reduce inflammation in the body and reduce the risk of heart diseases. Its antibacterial and anti-fungal properties has made it very popular in the use of pickles. However, the presence of erucic acid in it is known to have some ill effects on the body. Check for the proportion or erucic acid on the bottle of mustard oil while buying if possible. Always remember to restrict the consumption of oil to not more than 3 to 4 tsp per day.
Note : 1 cup = 200 ml (standard cup available in the market). The weight in grams varies for each ingredient.
Can diabetics, heart patients and overweight individuals have Punjabi Gajar ka Achar?
Yes, this recipe is good for diabetics, heart and weight loss. But have just half a teaspoon of this.
Can healthy individuals have Punjabi Gajar ka Achar?
Yes. But small amounts. Mustard oil, made from the seeds of mustard, has a very peculiar strong smell, not liked by many. Like avocado oil and olive oil is high in MUFA (mono unsaturated fatty acids) than PUFA (poly unsaturated fatty acids). It has about 60% MUFA. This ratio along with its compound allyl isothiocyanate is kown to reduce inflammation in the body and reduce the risk of heart diseases.
What is a healthier Indian achar / pickle?
There are many healthy Indian pickles and achar with ZERO sugar and less oil. Try punjabi lehsun achar, tendli ka achar and low salt green chilli pickle.
Green Chilli Pickle, Low Salt Recipe
How to burn 17 calories that come from one tablespoon Punjabi Gajar ka Achar?
Walking (6 kmph) = 5 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 2 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 2 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 3 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.