How many calories does one serving of Malai Kofta have?
One serving of Malai Kofta gives 362 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 115 calories, proteins account for 31 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 220 calories. One serving of Malai Kofta provides about 18 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See Malai Kofta recipe. malai kofta curry | restaurant style malai kofta | with 35 amazing images.
Malai Kofta is a super popular Punjabi curry. Deep fried koftas ( made from paneer, potatoes and carrots) are cooked in a rich malai kofta gravy. We show you how to make the koftas for malai kofta and the gravy formalai kofta in detailed step by step photos.
The koftas themselves are so tasty that they can easily be served as a snack along with tea. You could microwave or shallow fry the koftas if you want to avoid deep-frying them.
My favourite two Punjabi dishes to order at restaurants is restaurant style malai kofta and palak paneer. Both are rich and creamy Punjabi sabzis.
Notes to make the perfect malai kofta recipemalai kofta recipe. 1. Make sure the paneer is fresh and not stale as that will give a bad taste and also crumble it well with your hands. 2. Divide the mixture into 8 equal portions. It is always better to divide the mixture beforehand so that the koftas are of equal size. 3. In a deep non-stick kadhai, heat the oil till its hot but not red hot and put a few koftas in it slowly. If the oil is too hot, the koftas will burn from outside but will still be slightly under cooked from the inside. 4. Deep-fry the koftas on a medium flame till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides. 5. Cook the malai kofta gravy on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Be careful while making the gravy as it might splutter as it thickens. 6. Switch off the flame and add the fresh cream. This will give a nice creaminess to the Malai Kofta. If you add the cream while flame is on, there is a chance that it might curdle. Hence it is better to add it after turning the flame off.
Also do try other variants of koftas like Nawabi Kesar Koftas , Palak Makai Kofta and Doodhi Kofta Curry.
Is Malai Kofta healthy?
No, this is not healthy. Let's see why.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Paneer : Paneer contains high quality protein and calcium which aids in weight loss. Since paneer is low in carbs and high in protein it gets digested slowly and hence good for diabetes. Potassium in paneer helps to reduce the effect of high sodium, by lowering blood pressure and contraction of blood vessels, resulting in improved heart health and reduced risk of heart attack. Great for weight loss and read the interesting article on is paneer good for you?
2. Carrots (gajjar) : Carrots have the nutrient Beta Carotene which is a form of Vitamin A, helps prevent deterioration of the eye as one gets older and prevents night blindness. Carrot is great for the eyes.They relieve constipation, lower blood pressure, have fibre and lower cholesterol. Read the 11 super benefiits of carrots and why to include in your daily diet.
3. Tomatoes : Tomatoes are extremely rich source of Lycopene. Tomatoes are a powerful antioxidant, super rich in Vitamin C, good for heart. Tomatoes are a Pregnant women's friend and are rich in Folate or Folic Acid which helps your body to produce and maintain new cells, especially red blood cells. Read about 13 amazing benefits of tomatoes.
4. Onions (pyaz, kanda) : Raw onions are a very valuable source of vitamin C – the immune building vitamin. Along with other phytonutrients from onions, it helps to build WBC (white blood cells) which serves as a line of defence against illness. Yes, it’s a source of many antioxidants, the most important one amongst them being Quercetin. The quercetin which promotes production of HDL (good cholesterol) and lowers total cholesterol in the body. The sulphur in onions act as a blood thinner and prevents blood clotting too. This in turn would lower blood pressure and good for heart, diabetics. Read the benefits of onions.
5. Capsicum (Bell Peppers) : Rich in vitamin C, capsicum protect and maintain the lining of the heart. Colourful capsicums are not only visually appealing but also good for your eyes too, as they contain antioxidant Lutein, which protects the eye from cataracts and degeneration of the eye. Capsicum is high in Folate or folic acid, which is important for rapid growth and multiplication of red blood cells and white blood cells in the bone marrow. See detailed benefits of capsicum.
What's the problem?
1. Potatoes (Aloo) : Potatoes being high in simple carbohydrates will lead to weight gain and are not good for people with diabetes, heart problem and obesity. Potatoes are recommended for malnourished children and people with low weight. See full details on why potatoes are bad for you.
2. Cornflour ( Cornstarch) : Pros. Cornflour is easy to digest because of the presence of insoluble fiber, thus benefits the gut. It’s gluten-free and can be consumed by those who cannot afford to stock wheat. Cons. Cornflour is full of calories and carbs like refined sugar, thus a barrier to weight reduction. Those on weight loss diet must definitely not reach out for it. The high crabs makes it a No-No for a diabetic meal and restricted for heart patients. Read for more details is cornflour healthy?
3. Sugar : Sugar is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage. To live a healthy life, try and cut sugar which from your diet. It requires a slow and deliberate attempt to do it. Find hidden sugar in packaged foods and drinks and stop having those products. Did you know that a can of your favourite soft drink is estimated to have 1/2 cup of sugar. Refinded carbohydrates like maida, sugar, bread, pasta, noodles and sugar on consumption get stored as unhealthy fat in the body.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Malai Kofta?
No, this recipe is not good for diabetics, heart and weight loss. There are 4 ingredients which are not healthy in this recipe. Potatoes, Cornflour, Sugar and Fresh Cream which is not suitable for a healthy life style and should be avoided.
What is a healthier sabzi option ?
Here are some very healthy sabzis like dahi bhindi ki sabzi recipe, mooli ki sabzi recipe, bhindi masala recipe.
Can healthy individuals have Malai Kofta?
No, this is not healthy.
How to burn 362 calories that come from Malai Kofta?
Walking (6 kmph) = 1hr 49 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 36 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 48 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 1hr 2 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.