How many calories does one Halim Ladoo have?
One Halim Ladoo gives 53 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 28 calories, proteins account for 4 calorie and remaining calories come from fat which is 23 calories. One Halim Ladoo provides about 3 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
Click here to view Halim Ladoo recipe. halim ladoo is a traditional Maharashtrian sweet dish made with iron-rich garden cress seeds, ghee, jaggery, rava, powered almonds and desiccated coconut. Once the halim is soaked, this is a super quick Maharashtrian halim ladoo to make.
Want to boost your iron levels, then nothing better than halim ladoo recipe. Do you know that 100 grams of garden cress seeds offers 100 mg of iron? Who would have thought that this tiny seed is a goldmine of iron!
Halim ladoos are really very easy to make and you can quickly assemble them too! All you need to do is to soak halim 3 hours prior to preparing it. To proceed, heat ghee in a non-stick pan. Add soaked garden cress seeds and add jaggery. You can use jaggery powder. Add semolina and mix well. Further, add coconut. Add coconut.
If you want to use fresh coconut then grate the coconut and fry it in ghee until its moisture evaporates completely and then add to the Halim ladoo mixture. Lastly, add almonds. You can also add other dried fruits like cashew nuts, walnuts, pistachios can also be added to fortify aliv laddu. Mix well and our mixture for halim laddu is ready!! Next, transfer to a plate and divide into portions while its warm and still easy to handle. Serve or store the Halim ladoo in an air-tight container. Halim ke ladoos can be eaten during winters as it keeps our body warm and is good for lactating mothers.
We would like to share some tips to make the halim ladoo recipe. 1. Add jaggery. You can even make use of jaggery powder to make Garden Cress Seeds Sweet Balls. 2. If you are facing a problem in rolling theHalim ladoo, grease the palms with some ghee.
Is Halim Ladoo healthy?
This is not the healthiest ladoo. Made from halim, jaggery, semolina, almonds and ghee.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Garden Cress Seeds (Halim) : Garden cress seeds overcome anaemia. A tbsp. of these seeds offer 12 mg of iron. Being rich in iron and a galactagogue (a food which enhances breast milk production), it’s beneficial for lactating moms for enhancing breast milk production. Its high protein content helps to satiate you and build muscle mass too. Garden cress seeds are a good cure to constipation. The fiber from the seeds when had with water helps to bind the stools and aids in its east movement through the digestive tract. See detailed benefits of garden cress seeds.
2. Almonds (badam) : Almonds are rich in B complex vitamins such as Vitamin B1, Thiamine, Vitamin B3, Niacin and Folate which plays an important role in the brain development. Almonds balances your cholesterol levels. almonds have a very low glycemic index and good for diabetics. See all 13 super health benefits of almonds.
3. Ghee : Other than calories and fats, the only nutrients that ghee is rich in are the vitamins – all of which are fat-soluble. All the 3 vitamins (Vitamin A, Vitamin E and Vitamin K) are antioxidants which have a role in removing free radicals from the body and protecting our cell as well as help in maintaining skin health and glow. Ghee is an excellent, high-quality selection medium of cooking because of its high smoke point. As compared to most oils and butter, ghee can handle a smoke point of 230°C, 450°F, thus its less prone to oxidant and destruction of nutrients. Yes, ghee does contain cholesterol, but some amount of cholesterol is needed by the body. Cholesterol has some functions to play too. It is necessary for hormone production, brain function, cell health and lubricating the joints. It is, in reality, a high quality fat for the body and brain. Ghee is loaded with fats but that’s medium chain fatty acids (MCT) which aid in weight loss. Ghee is healthy for daibetics in small amounts and you need to check your fat intake at the same time. Learn to easily make your ghee at home which is free of preservatives. See benefits of ghee.
What's the problem?
1. Rava (semolina, sooji) : What's good? Semolina is a fairly good source of Magnesium and phosphorus which is necessary to keep our nervous system healthy and working. What's the issue? Fibre is one key nutrient for weight loss and semolina is devoid of it. Semolina is not suitable for diabetics. For details read is sooji healthy?
2. Jaggery (Gur) : When compared to sugar, which provides only empty calories, jaggery is considered to be a superior natural sweetener. Sugar is definitely one of the causes of many chronic diseases, but jaggery too needs to be consumed in moderate amounts. What you would consume is just about a tbsp (18 g) or a tsp (6 g). While those with heart diseases and weight loss can have a dessert made with this quantity of jaggery occasionally as an option to refined sugar, but diabetics need to avoid this sweetener too as it can spike blood sugar levels instantly. Read is jaggery healthy for complete details.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Halim Ladoo ?
For diabetics, the answer is no. Same goes for weight loss and healthy heart. The issue is usage of rava which has no fibre and too much of jaggery used.
Can healthy individuals have Halim Ladoo?
As a cheat dessert, have one ladoo and thats it.
What is a healthier option to Halim Ladoo?
We suggest you have oats mixed nuts ladoo which uses very little jaggery as a sweetener.
Oats and Mixed Nuts Ladoo (Healthy Laddu)
8 Pointers to get healthy on a Indian diet
1. Eat healthy and say yes to good home cooked food. Prefer whole grains like oatmeal, quinoa, buckwheat, barley and healthy flours like bajra flour, jowar flour, quinoa flour, wheat flour etc. rather than refined ones like maida. Have healthy Indian fats like ghee, coconut, coconut oil in your diet.
2. Opt out of junk food, packaged food, deep fried foods. Prefer steamed snacks and other non-fried snacks. Check out some Healthy Indian Snacks. Remember to eat small frequent meals through the day as that will keep you always full and prevent your blood sugar from dropping. By starving your body through some diet, will not help you one bit. In fact, dieting will make you binge on 2 to 3 meals which is not good.
3. Have 4 to 5 servings of vegetables and 2 to 3 servings of fruit is a must. Follow the logic of a vegetable in each main meal of the day and a fruit in-between meals. Check out a few Healthy Indian Soups and Healthy Indian Salads recipes using this food group.
4. Cut down on sugar and salt in your diet and pick honey ( very small amounts) or dates to sweeten your food. Slowly cut the sugar habit as this is not going to happen over night. Sugar is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage.
Salt and blood pressure. Apart from stress and obesity, one of the main reasons for high blood pressure is excessive sodium and salt intake. Most people find it difficult to limit the amount of salt in their cooking, thinking it will affect the taste of their favourite dishes.
This is not true. Bajra and jowar are rich in potassium and critical for those with High Blood Pressure as it lessens the impact of sodium. Eating more Potassium Rich Foods will remove more sodium from your body through urine. So include the basic bajra roti and jowar roti in your daily diet to have with Lower Blood Pressure Subzis Recipes.
5. Befriend a few healthy seeds and nuts like chia seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds, walnuts and almonds.
6. Sprouts are called ‘living food’. They are high is most nutrients and easy to digest as well. Let them feature in your meals at least thrice a week. Also Read : All Benefits about Sprouts.
7. Exercise 45 minutes every day. No excuse. You can walk fast, run, do weights, play your favourite sport or go to the gym.
8. Sleep early and get up early. Get your body into rhythm and it will function best. Sleep helps your body to recover.
Halim Ladoo is high in
1. Iron : Iron is essential in the chemical reactions that produce energy from foods. Eat more greens and garden cress seeds to prevent you from being anaemic. Here are the top 7 sources of iron rich foods.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 53 calories that come from one Halim Ladoo?
Walking (6 kmph) =
Running (11 kmph) =
Cycling (30 kmph) =
Swimming (2 kmph) =
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual